3871 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to add a new drive to my server

EVApietro
Occasional Visitor

How to add a new drive to my server

Hi,

I have an HP ProLiant ML350 G6, in the front HDD rack i have some unused slots and i would like to fill them up with some new drives. How do i do that? I don't have a "cage" where to put a standard 3.5" drive, so i wonder if i need to buy the whole cage+drive package.

Also, can i organize the drives in any way i want, making more than one RAID volume with a single rack and a single raid card? i guess yes, but i would like to be 100% sure, as i don't have experience in this field

thank you
3 REPLIES 3
turetzeddie
Occasional Visitor

I also need help with this. Can someone give us instruction on how to install extra hard drive space?

My server is DL370 G6 and need to add extra hard drive, because main hard drive (2x 150GB - RAID) is getting full.

I just got 1x 300 GB SAS 2.5 hard drive and I don't know if one is OK or I have to get two.

Installing the hard drive was easy but the server doesn't see it and no light is on.  I heard I have to configure it using the SmartStart CD. Is this correct?

I'm very new to this.

OS is Windows Server 2008 64-bit by the way.

Thanks in advance!

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hello @EVApietro and @turetzeddie

@EVApietro:

HP has the HP 1TB 6G SAS 7.2K rpm LFF (3.5-inch) Dual Port Midline 1yr Warranty Hard Drive, HP 2TB 6G SAS 7.2K rpm LFF (3.5-inch) Dual Port Midline 1yr Warranty Hard Drive, and the HP 3TB 6G SAS 7.2K rpm LFF (3.5-inch) Midline 1yr Warranty Hard Drive that are compatible to your HP ProLiant ML350 Gen6 server are available directly through the HP Small and Medium Business web site.

I recommend looking in the HP ProLiant ML350 Gen6 Server Maintenance and Service Guide for installation of drives.  You will need the drive cage, unfortunately since your server is an older model, the 6-bay SAS/SATA large form-factor (LFF) hard drive cage in not available through the HP normal sales web sites.  However, the 6-bay SAS/SATA large form-factor (LFF) hard drive cage (511784-001) is in stock at the HP Parts Store web site, you will need to enter the part number for the drive cage in the box next to “Search for a part” to get to the page to order.

The RAID options are determined by the HP Smart Array you have on your server, the HP Smart Array P410i/Zero Memory Controller supports RAID 0/1/1+0, which is for entry models, the HP Smart Array P410i/256MB Controller supports RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0, which is for base models, the HP Smart Array P410i/512 MB BBWC Controller supports RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0, which is performance models.  These specification are seen on page 6 of the HP ProLiant ML350 Gen6 QuickSpecs.

@turetzeddie: 

The 300GB drive is compatible to your HP ProLiant DL370 G6, to prevent improper cooling and thermal damage do not operate the server unless all the bays have either a drive or is covered with a blank. 

According to Page 94 and 95 of the HP ProLiant DL/ML370 G6 Server Maintenance and Service Guide if the light is not on at all then the drive is offline, a spare, or not configured as part of an array.  On page 12 and 13 of the HP Smart Array 6i Controller User Guide has the configuration procedure.  If that procedure is not of any help then I recommend contact HP Total Care at 1-800-344-5144 for more assistance.

If either of you need more assistance please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to assist you further.

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

You would want to add TWO of the same drives, then configure them as RAID-1 in the ORCA [F8] to boot mode, then you will see another drive in DISK MANAGER in windows (computer management-> DIsk Management) which you can partition and assign a drive letter.

This won't make your current partition bigger, but it is a non-destructive way to move some of your files to the new raid-volume without having to recreate the current raid-1 set at all.

You can do this with the 1 drive y ou have but it will not be protected by raid, obviously!