6151 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to add stand alone disk

DanielATU
Advisor

How to add stand alone disk

Dear All.
I have a simple question (I am newbie to proliant and HP servers :)) but i didn't found answer in internet.

I have HP Proliant DL380 G4 - OS Linux
There is raid 5 with 5 disks, and one empty slot, I want to add additional stand alone disk that will not be used in raid in empty slot.

I inserted disk into bay, but it doesn't showed up in /dev/ what shoul I do to connect it?

Thank you in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
DanielATU
Advisor

In other topic wich I created, was answer

>The disk bay is connected to the RAID >controller, for this reason all disks are >under control of the controller.

>You need to create a RAID0 drive on this >disk or add the disk to the existing array >and create a new logical drive.

Main problem Is i dont know wich tool I can use for it.
Do I need to restart server while loading is in process press F9.

or I do configs whithout restart? if yes what tool can I use for job?

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

just hot-add the disk and start ACU. ACU should be installed, if you installed a ProLiant Support Pack. Otherwise restart the server and use ORCA (the ROM of the Smart Array controller) to configure a new RAID 0 / Single disk with a logical volume.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
DanielATU
Advisor

you will laughing :), but how to star ACU and even how to find out it is installed or not? - non of HP document written like cook book, I searched all relted proliant docs in here but what I found was like - use ACU or something other. But non showed how to exactly do it.

P.S.
I think I dont have ACU, and how I am get answer only restart will help :( that is bad.

Thank you
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Check the installed RPMs. Which distribution do you use?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
DanielATU
Advisor

Thank you for answer, I did everythin trough ORCA. Created new logical unit adn added disk to RAID 0.

Now everything is work