ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753891 Members
7655 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

How to change drive in degraded array

TommyF7

How to change drive in degraded array

Hi. I'm new to HP servers and I have inherited an HP DL360 G5. It is running VMware and I noticed that one of the drives has a red light, assuming it has failed. There does not appear to be any software installed to view what is going on and being in production, running 2 email servers, its not real convenient to take it off line and dig around.

Can this drive be hot-swapped without having to remove it from the array or having to add back into the array? Some systems I've worked with do this. This would be the simplest solution.

If not, I will have to schedule some maintenance. In that case, are there any pointers for the procedures to do this?

Thanks,

Tom

P.S.This thread has been moved from Servers>General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)- HP Forums Moderator

1 REPLY 1
Ali
HPE Pro

Re: How to change drive in degraded array

Hi,

As per quickspecs, HP DL360 G5 comes with the following storage controllers depending on Model.

• Storage Controller:
    • Performance Models: HP Smart Array P400i/256MB BBWC Controller (RAID 0/1/1+0/5/6) (512MB BBWC optional)
    • High Efficiency and Base Models: HP Smart Array P400i/256MB Controller (RAID 0/1/1+0/5) (512MB BBWC optional)
    • Entry Models: HP Smart Array E200i/64MB Controller (RAID 0/1/1+0) (128MB BBWC optional)

Smartarray controller does support hotswapping and rebuilt the replaced drive automatically on a degraded Array.

However, before we replace the drive we need to know the reason for failed hard drive, Raid configuration and current status of a logical drive. So we can run Array Configuration Utility to check the same.

Offline Array Configuration Utility can be run from SmartStart CD

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121486&prodNameId=3288144&swEnvOID=2065&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-8a41f45cfa874dcda389506213

hope this helps,

How to say Thanks...Click on Star Kudos

Cheers!

Aftab Ali

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo