4494 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to clear CMOS MEBx on a ProLiant ML10 Gen9

psom
Occasional Contributor

How to clear CMOS MEBx on a ProLiant ML10 Gen9

Hello,

Yesterday I set a MEBx password on our new ProLiant ML10 Server, and even though I wrote it up I cannot login to MEBx today. btw. The password policy "special characters" isn't pretty user friendly unless one have an US keyboard.

However - now I need to reset CMOS to reset the password, but nobody at HP seemt to know how. I already had extensive contact with the support team as the first server came with an already set password. But nobody could help me.

Someone from the support suggested to remove the BIOS battery.
Some manuals speak about a (non existing) "F10 Setup"
The User Guide https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04070849 mentions a "maintainance switch" but doesn't tell where it's located.

In the end I returned the server to my dealer and got a new one. But now I'm facing the same problem again.

So the 1 million dollar question is:
How can I reset the CMOS on a ProLiant ML10 Gen9?

Edit: I just found out that Caps lock was activated on my service keyboard (had no LED for that). So the password is correct.

However, the initial question still remains unanswered. It doesn't promote my confidence in a product if nobody can tell me how to use it :-(

3 REPLIES 3
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Re: How to clear CMOS MEBx on a ProLiant ML10 Gen9

Information about clearing CMOS on ML10 Gen9 server:

And the user guide that you have referred to is for HPE ProLiant ML10 Server (not Gen9)

System maintenance switch in not present on the system board for ML10 Gen9

Server has AMI BIOS, please check if you have options to clear CMOS/NVRAM configuration in BIOS. 

Else you may clear CMOS using the system battery/CMOS Battery.

Steps to clear CMOS using the battery method:

Turn off all peripheral devices connected to the computer.
Disconnect the power cord from the AC power source.
Remove the computer cover.
Find the battery on the board. The battery may be in a horizontal or vertical battery holder, or connected to an onboard header with a wire.
Remove the battery:
If the battery is in a holder, note the orientation of the + and тАУ on the battery. Gently pry the battery free from its connector.
If the battery is connected to an onboard header with a wire, disconnect the wire from the onboard header.
Wait 5-10 minutes, then reconnect the battery.
Put the computer cover back on.
Plug the computer and all devices back in.

Additional Info:

HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Servers - Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx) Reset/Default Password

MEBx Login default password is admin
Reset MEBx Password to default:
F10 setup provides an option that allows you to fully unprovision the ME to factory defaults. Use the Unconfigure AMT/ME option,
which is located under the Advanced/AMT Configuration menu.
NOTE: The unconfigure option clears CMOS, thus returning all MEBx settings to factory defaults.
NOTE: After the factory defaults have been reset, the system must be setup and configured again before remote management is
possible.

Any non-default certificate hashes will have to be re-applied.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
psom
Occasional Contributor

Oh, you are right as far as the manual is concerned. I would never have thought that a ProLiant ML10 Gen9 server is not a ProLiant ML10 server.

Thank you for citing all the sources I've already read before I turned to this forum.

Unfortunately this is all wrong and useless.
I already removed the battery (ans mains, off cause) for half an hour with no avail.
There is nothing like an F10 Setup (the whole manual seems to be copied from another machine and edited very sloppily - it's full of errors)
BIOS setup offers no CMOS reset - only "reset to defaults", but that doesn't affect the MEBx settings.

I guess that's my first and my last HP server. I got a server hoping to get some more professional support. But obviously HP doesn't know it's own products :-(

BPSingh
HPE Pro

I was referring to HPE Knowledge Article mentioned below:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_sf-EN_US000019645&docLocale=en_US 

Are you able to access BIOS using DEL key? You should see a prompt on POST.

The above article is indeed for ML10 Gen9, and I would advise you to log a support case if you are having difficulties following it. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo