ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753836 Members
8625 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to configure RAID 1 on HP DL580 G5 server

Scott Faucher

How to configure RAID 1 on HP DL580 G5 server

We recently bought a DL580 G5 with 8 drives and had it shipped to our East coast office. We are running an application which needs 4 mirrored arrays (C: D: E: and F:) but my IT guy back East says there is no option to create even one "RAID 1" array (let alone four of them). He does see options for "RAID 1+0" and "RAID 5". I'm on the West coast and wondered if anyone here could shed some light on this so I do not need to fly out there to play with the RAID card myself.

I realize we could create a "RAID 1+0" and then partition it to C: D: E: and F: but our old app runs better on physically separate drives (the mirroring is just in case a drive dies). The app is configured to store different parts of the database on different drive letters and any RAID level (besides a mirror) decreases the efficiency of our old C/SIDE database application.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Aaron Wolski
Valued Contributor

The information that I have available to me suggests that you should be able to create a 2 drive RAID 1+0 array that will effectively result in a RAID 1 array configuration.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Yes. The way HP put it, is a little confusing.

But as Aaron write, if you select 2 drives for RAID 1+0, you will get a RAID 1.

Accept or Kudo