108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to configure RIAD control

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tareq Tamimi
Occasional Advisor

How to configure RIAD control

i have proplem with my server HP proliant ML350 G4 with RAID configration , when i use Start Smart CD in configration state gave me message to configure RAID control during booting by press F8 , but when i press f8 gave my configration for backup tape , so how can i configure my RAID ? since i have Integrated Dual Channel U320 SCSI Adapter.
14 REPLIES 14
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, are you sure that is a RAID adapter?

The RAID controller that comes standard with some ML350 G4 models is the Smart Array 641 controller but that is an extra card. It seems like the integrated controller is not RAID enabled.
Tareq Tamimi
Occasional Advisor

HI , Johan thank you for advice , actualy you are right i don't have RIAD adapter no any card adapter it's integrated controller,connected via SCSI conecter direct with SCSI HD cage but i still don't have any option to configure RAID during booting state .
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, yeah then I'm afraid it is working as intended :/ you need a raid adapter to be able to configure hardware raid. There are software raid alternatives but I don't much about it.

And as a new user I just want to remind you about the point system in place here for answered questions and such :)
Tareq Tamimi
Occasional Advisor

so how can i install windows server 2003 , when i want to installed direct gave me message no hard disk exist , and with Smart Start CD gave me message to configration RAID first , since i was have OS in the same server before , and i need to install it again for Repairing issue
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, ah the smartstart only supports smart array controllers.

To install it on a non-raided hdd using the scsi adapter you probably need to load the scsi controller driver during the boot of windows 2003 installation (by pressing F6 and loading the driver from a floppy).

Drivers can be found here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3279707&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397642&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#113214

Under "driver - storage controller".

It is most likely the driver called "HP ProLiant 64-Bit/133-MHz Single/Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA and SCxxXe series SCSI HBA Driver for Windows Server 2003"
Tareq Tamimi
Occasional Advisor

but that driver work under windows invuroment i need to work during boot , that file run in windows server 2003 invuroment .
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, what do you need to do during boot?

Are your drives found by the controller during post?
Tareq Tamimi
Occasional Advisor

HI , Johan thank you for advice again
I need to configure RAID controller to install windows server 2003
No any drives found during POST , and there is no any message shown to configure RIAD like - press F8 or CTRL+C - as usually , expect F8 but related to Tape drive ,not RAID configuration , when I press F8 gave menu as bellow

Select Configuration Options
1) Tape-Based On Button Disaster Recovery (OBDR)
2) Multi Initiator Configuration
3) Exit

As I said before my drive cage cable connected to SCSI controller on board system ,and there is no any RIAD adapter in my server so what is your advice please
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, I don't think you have a RAID controller.
So if you want to configure RAID with your current setup you need to install the OS and then configure software RAID.