ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752781 Members
6691 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to configure the RAID of HP Proliant ML370 tower server Generation 6?

SOLVED
Go to solution
sark
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

What is the best RAID I could use? any suggestion?

Thanks..

7 REPLIES 7
sark
Occasional Advisor

Re: How to configure the RAID of HP Proliant ML370 tower server Generation 6?

Hi Guys,

Please..please..please I need your help mainly because I am just new for server and I am still trying to learn about this thing. I bought this old server as I am going to use it for my business.

Thanks..

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Review this guide here to use ACU or ORCA to configure the array.  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02289065.pdf

Regarding your question of "What is the best RAID I could use" it's sort of like asking "What's the best car for me?". Without further details, we can't provide a lot of valuable information. How many drives do you have? What are your performance requirements? What is your tolerance for data loss? What is your capacity requirement? What controller is in your server?

On average, and making some basic assumptions; if you have more than two drives then you'll probably want to create a single RAID5 array. If you have lots of disks in the server, mark one as a hot spare so it can take over in the event of a failed drive. RAID6 provides better prevention against data loss but comes with a write performance, and capacity, penalty. You'll also likely need the "Smart Array Advanced Pack or SAAP license" on that model server in order to do RAID6.  

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

sark
Occasional Advisor

Thank you  HPSDMike . I really appreciate your quick response and feedback regarding my query. I will follow the guide that you have given and I will update and post here my journey about this server.

Again, thank you very much 

sark
Occasional Advisor

Hi HPSDMike, how are you? 

Please find the images from my server. For each image, I have clarification. Please help me on these. Thanks.

What does it mean Logical Drive #1 and  Logical Drive #2?  Why I have 2 logical drives? the first one is OK and the other is interim recovery? Can I delete these 2 and make another new logical drives?What does it mean Logical Drive #1 and Logical Drive #2? Why I have 2 logical drives? the first one is OK and the other is interim recovery? Can I delete these 2 and make another new logical drives?Sorry for the peel of banana, while I was working I ate banana. as you can see here, I have 8 HDD slots. 6 are physically available and 2 are missing. Each HDD has a capacity of 146 GB. If I will add  another 2 HDD, will it affect the RAID configuration?Sorry for the peel of banana, while I was working I ate banana. as you can see here, I have 8 HDD slots. 6 are physically available and 2 are missing. Each HDD has a capacity of 146 GB. If I will add another 2 HDD, will it affect the RAID configuration?What does it mean for the orange color light in the 3rd HDD slot?What does it mean for the orange color light in the 3rd HDD slot?

sark
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, i uploaded the 3 images in a large size.

sark
Occasional Advisor

Hi, please help me guys..

HPSDMike
HPE Pro
Solution

If you don't care about any of the data then I would use ORCA to delete both logical drive then create a new logical drive with 5 of the drives (RAID 5). After that step, use ORCA to assign the sixth drive as a spare. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo