New Discussion

How to connect both SAS- and a SATA-RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
Westminster
Occasional Visitor

Re: How to connect both SAS- and a SATA-RAID

Hi,

may I jump in please? This is exactly what I'm trying to understand myself. To me it's not yet clear, whether it's possible to have multiple SAS disks and multiple SATA disks connected to ONE P440 controller (all disks LFF). I guess, if it's not more than four disks, then they reside in one cage and then P440 contoller will work. If it's more than four disks (like in the example above with one spare drive), you need a second cage together with a P840 with two connectors. Is that correct?

I understood so far that you can create two or more RAID 1 on only one controller, assuming there are at least four disks, and that in general both RAIDs must be clean SAS or clean SATA. But can a clean SAS-RAID1 and a clean SATA-RAID1 coexist on one controller? And is this in any means dependent on whether disks are hotplug or not, because only the hot plug cages have compatible connectors for both SAS and SATA?

Thanx in advance for some advice.

Fridolin

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You can have both SAS and SATA drives connected to a 'P' series Smart Array controller. The only rule is the drives for any given array must either all SAS or all SATA.  You can create a one drive array, but for RAID 1 you need two drives and for RAID 5 you need at least three drives.

For the ML150 Gen9 using LFF, the cagewill only hold fur drives. If you want more than four drives, you need the P840 controller along with the second drive cage and cable kit.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Westminster
Occasional Visitor

Ok:

- Two RAID1 = 4 drives, one RAID SAS and the other RAID SATA -> one cage/one P440
- Two RAID1 = 5 drives, one RAID SAS with hotspare and the other RAID SATA -> two cages/one P840

Great, thanx!

StefanoFereri
Advisor

Attention, Westminster!

> Another option would be to get the P840 controller instead of the P440 and connect both cages to the P840...
> Two RAID1 = 5 drives, one RAID SAS with hotspare and the other RAID SATA -> two cages/one P840

After some additional reading I guess these two statements are not correct. In Maintenance and Server Guide* on page 85 there is an example for connecting two four-bay LFF hot-plug drive cages to one HP P440 Smart Array controller. They use an Y-cable! So you should be able to connect up to 8 LFF SATA and/or SAS drives in two cages to one single P440.

Also the following statement is in contradiction to Quick Specs:

> If you order a base model with the LFF cage, you would then need to purchase the P440 and a 8SFF cage and cable.

> This would keep the 4LFF cage conected to the embedded B140i.

In Quick Specs it is said "B140i can't mix with any standup internal controller" (Page 5). As soon as there is a P-or HBA-Controller B140i controller cannot be used.

Regards,
Stefano

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04504829&DocLang=en&docLocale=en_US

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@StefanoFereri wrote:

Attention, Westminster!

Also the following statement is in contradiction to Quick Specs:

> If you order a base model with the LFF cage, you would then need to purchase the P440 and a 8SFF cage and cable.

> This would keep the 4LFF cage conected to the embedded B140i.

In Quick Specs it is said "B140i can't mix with any standup internal controller" (Page 5). As soon as there is a P-or HBA-Controller B140i controller cannot be used. 

I also said this wasn't a supported option, but it will work. If you only have one cage you can't mix a standup card with the the embedded controller, but if you have 2 cages you can cable one controller to each cage.

Good catch on the Y cables, I missed that when I was looking at the guide. Unfortunately I don't see a part number for it

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
StefanoFereri
Advisor

Ok, thanks for clarification.