1748165 Members
4057 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to connect my server to a Pillar SAN

Johnnynecku

How to connect my server to a Pillar SAN

Hi all,

I have ProLiant DL360 G6 with two Emulex (fiber)cards in it and I want to configure my server to be able to access a LUN created on a Pillar SAN.

I'm really new with that technology but I'm pretty sure my problem is in the Emulex Card Configuration.

Could help me with that configuration please?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: How to connect my server to a Pillar SAN

> access a LUN created on a Pillar SAN

Do you have a separate SAN group? They have to zone the server in the fabric switches and assign the LUN to the server.
You have to install the the emulex drivers on the DL360 if you have not done yet and if the Pillar has multipath capability, install multipath drivers on the DL360, either supplied by the OS or by Pillar. You did not mention your OS, is it windows or Linux?
Fo a general intro to SANs look into this design guide http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00403562/c00403562.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Johnnynecku

Thanks for replying.

In my case, I didn't have install a OS because I want to boot from SAN. So that's the main reason why I need to connect my server to the SAN.
TTr
Honored Contributor

You still need to go through the fiber zoning in the fiber switches and presenting the LUN to the server, even without OS. Now to boot from the SAN, the server BIOS must be able to see the Emulex cards and also the LUN to be able to install the OS. I don't think HP officially supports SAN boot on these, I could not find any mention of it. Maybe it does, maybe it does not. Have you checked with HP support or found anything about SAN boot being supported on these fiber cards and this server?