ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748209 Members
2847 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to convert ML350 GEN8 rack to tower?

BASF_FMA
Occasional Visitor

How to convert ML350 GEN8 rack to tower?

Hello,

here came the question up, if it is possible to convert a ML350 GEN8 Rack into a Tower.

I know, it is officially just possible vice versa, but I do hope, that someone can post an idea.

Thanks in advance,

BASF_FMA

11 REPLIES 11
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

The Tower-to-Rack conversion kit is just a rackmount tray to put the server in the rack on its side. Without spending too much time searching for official guidance from HP, I'd assume that the reverse would be to simply remove the rackmount kit and sit the server on the floor.
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.
BASF_FMA
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

well, the machine is quite thin and I worry that it just falls over. Any suggestions how to stabilize the server a bit?

Thanks,

BASF_FMA

David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

HP Spare Part # 667264-001 - tower feet.

You should be able to affix these to the server.

Order from HP Parts Store: http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/ or from an authorized reseller.

Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Not sure if just the tower feet are all that are needed. The outer chassis sheetmetal is different between a rack and tower system

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
wbryson1982

HP apparently does not have a conversion kit officially to convert the rack mounted version of this server to a tower version. I tried for weeks to find something that would work including calling our HP rep and two of our major vendors. You can buy the feet but there are not mounting holes for all four feet. We have 17 servers that were incorrectly ordered as rack mounted instead of towers that we have had to send back for the correct server thereby delaying a huge server upgrade project in the Americas. It would have been far easier and less time consuming if we had been able to just order a conversion kit. Although we were able to get some of our sites to finally purchase a small half rack that can easily fit under a counter sideways. (these beast are really long!)

newvistech
Visitor

I'm wondering if anyone is still trying to do this, or if anyone happens to have already converted a rack to tower and still has the rack parts left over?

We have a client with an ML350 Gen8 (v1) that we need to convert from tower to rack.  Unfortunately, HP no longer sells the conversion kit, and I have been unable to locate one anywhere online.

If anyone has a rack server that they would like to convert to a tower, it would be great if we could trade parts.  Or, if anyone has already done this and would like to sell the rack parts, please reply as well.

Muhieddine
Occasional Advisor

Dear,

We have just converted our ML350p Gen8 to Rack, and it was very very easy, the tools you need are in the conversion kit, the torx screwdriver is included in the server mounted near the screws. I can help you order the rack to tower kit if you still didn't find it through your HP local partner

Regards

newvistech
Visitor

It would be great to know where you got the conversion kit, and which one you used.  There are apparently three different SKUs for Gen8 conversion kits, depending on whether the server was a 'p' or an 'e' series, and then whether it was v1 or v2.  Ours is a v1 'e', so I've been told that the correct SKU is:  665939-B21, which has been discontinued. 

417705-B21 is still available, but that one doesn't list the v1 'e' as a supported model, only the v2 'e'.  I can't locate any documentation on the two kits to try and compare them to see what the actual differences are.  It's very possible that this kit might be 'close enough', but I haven't been able to determine that either.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Muhieddine
Occasional Advisor