1752802 Members
5687 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to identify Universal U320 drives

BillClark22
Advisor

I just don't think these are the correct drives for that server. I just popped them into a DL380 server and it recognized them right away. I just don't think those are the "universal" drives. I'm going to scrounge around and see if I can find the original drives for that server or maybe order a couple in that are labeled the "universal".
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

It's not a big deal if it's a universal drive or non universal, it's a matter of "certifcation"

Universal isn't printet on the label.
But the universal drives got a blue stripe, on the middel of the label, see question 8, in the faq I linked to earlier.
The non-universal don't got a stripe.

cheers
/jag

Accept or Kudo

BillClark22
Advisor

Isn't the universal designator what the whole certification is all about? I have 12 drives that have the blue strip..not a single one is recognized. They are all labeled 72GB, 10k, Ultra320 SCSI on the front tab, with a blue stripe. I've checked internal connectors and cables and the diagnostics don't report anything wrong. I've loaded the lastest BIOS and it doesn't help.
Oleg VB

Have the same issue here...
HP ProLiant DL360 G4 and trying to use 36.4GB 15K Ultra320 hard drives (have about 6 of them here) and server refuses to recognize them at all...
Server part #354571-001
Drive part #306641-002

I guess these drives are not all that universal :-(
Dmitry_75
Valued Contributor

Hi! There is old problem with DL360 SCSI models. Remove hard drives,access panel, and reseat scsi backplane in MB socket. Good luck.
Oleg VB

Yup I already figured it out. I did just that last night -- removed and reinserted the backplane SCSI connector board, and it worked fine after that. Thanks for the tip Dmitry, it was very helpful.

Oleg.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Yes, the old backplane problem. I didn't know that the G4 also got that weakness.
Odd, on the G1 it was secured with a brackett.

But as I have been trying to explain, Don't focus on Universal or not. Correct carrier and it will work.

Only on the Dl360 you must obay the U320 rule. (On models with FDD / CD / DVD above the HDD's)

Accept or Kudo