ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748169 Members
4116 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to install Windows 2008 via USB Key?

trueCharlie
Advisor

How to install Windows 2008 via USB Key?

I'm trying to install Windows Server 2008 32bit. Since the Windows 2008 Server is on a DVD and this server does not have a DVD, how do I install it? I noticed there is an option for using USB Key but when I tried that it does not recognized my Western Digital USB external drive. Any help is much appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
trueCharlie
Advisor

I forgot, the server is a Proliant DL360 G4.
JaYKaY_1
Advisor

Download HP USB Key utility, and follow the wizard. That is the best option.

Create a boot SMart start and add the win 2008 to the usb.
Karlis_Latvia
Occasional Advisor

Hi trueCharlie,

I myself used UnetBootin, which creates a bootable USB from .iso disk.

Worked like a charm - it installed faster than from disk.

Good luck!
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ is another option.
trueCharlie
Advisor

I chatted with HP tech support and using USB Key is basically for firmware update and not for OS installation.

I'll give the UNebootin a try. Is it free?

Many thanks for all the support!
Karlis_Latvia
Occasional Advisor

Hi trueCharlie,

Ofcourse it's free :)

Good luck.
JaYKaY_1
Advisor

Dear,

you can make USK key with Smartstart latest, version.

Copy the OD DVD to the same USB.

Boot the server with USB, it will run the wizard for Smart start. during the vizard, just select the os file format and the source.

This is the best option and more faster.
trueCharlie
Advisor

Jishanth, your suggestion seems the easist but what is an OD? Are you saying I could just open up the SmartStart CD and copy everything in there plus the operating system ISO file over to a USB thumb drive and boot from the thumb drive?

I have tried hooking up an external DVD-RW drive to the server but it does not work. The server stops at:

Attempting to boot from CD-ROM

As long as I have the USB external optical drive connected to the server, every time when the server boot, it will stop at the "attempting to boot from CD-ROM". So I assumed that any USB thumb drive will be the same issue.
trueCharlie
Advisor

I think this is a bunch of bull. First, the server can' use the external optical drive via USB because apparently HP has problem with multibay DVD-RW drive (which by the way I don't have a multibay drive). Then I tried the USB Key with a USB thumb drive. I am able to boot to SmartStart but it was NOT too smart. After through all the configuration for Windows 2008 Standard Server Edition it says to disconnect all bootable USB devices. I did and the server reboot, it tries to install Windows 2008 Server and it failed.

"The system cannot find the path specified."

What is this? It's frustrating!