1748171 Members
4183 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to install windows 2003 server on a Compaq proliant 1600

jonathon_6
Occasional Advisor

How to install windows 2003 server on a Compaq proliant 1600

How can I install windows 2003 server on a Compaq proliant 1600.??????
11 REPLIES 11
Tad Nall
Frequent Advisor

Not sure what you mean. Can you do it? Yes. Just boot off of install CD or smart start. Go to compaqs site and get all your needed drivers first. (smart start should have them). Only question is do you have minimum system requirments
Min CPU 133
min RAM 128MB
HDD 1.5GB
jonathon_6
Occasional Advisor

I didn't think there was a smartstart cd for windows 2003 server install for a compaq proliant 1600.

I thought you had to set up your array with the old smartstart CD update all the driver i.e bios, then do a manual install of windows 2003 server.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi jonathon,

that's sort of correct. You cannot do an assisted install of Win2003 with any SmartStart version that would work in a ProLiant 1600 (5.5 or earlier). But if you select Manual Installation from Smartstart, select Windows 2000 as the OS, set up your array, then afterwards boot from the Windows 2003 CD it should work. You shouldn't need any extra drivers, as Win2003 has drivers for most Compaq array controllers.
When it's setup, then you can apply the latest support pack. Make sure you install SNMP beforehand, otherwise the agents will not install.

Regards,
Stephen
jonathon_6
Occasional Advisor

Other source say that I can't install windows 2003 server on a Proliant 1600, Because of the Smart start CD.

I was planning to use Smartstart version 7 setup my array then insert the Windows 2003 CD.

Is this the correct way or is there another way that I can install windows 2003 server on my proliant 1600.
Tad Nall
Frequent Advisor

I would use the smart start to configure array. Then boot from 2003 CD and load windows. After it is done through in smart 5.x and run the driver utility to load a couple of BUS drivers. Then use smart 7.x to update everything else. I have done this allready and it works. If it fails you wont break anything and it is better to get started than sit to long.
Chris Flynn_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jonathon,

I have just installed windows 2003 on my proliant 1600 and found the following post very helpful.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=565678

I used smartstart 5.4 as only up to smart start 5.5 was for the proliant 1600.

I did the following steps:
1. used smart start to configure my server
2. selected a manual install of operating system selecting windows 2000.
3. I then followed the steps recommended in the attached post
4. Once the installation was completed I installed the latest support pack.

Hope this is of some help.
jonathon_6
Occasional Advisor

Do I need any other support software for the Compaq build.

Which driver do I need???

Also Do I install the support pack after I have installed Windows 2003 server or before.
Tad Nall
Frequent Advisor

install the 2003 support after OS instal
jonathon_6
Occasional Advisor

I have setup my array and installed windows 2003 server and no problems it works fine.

The only problem I have got is that I can't update my video drivers. The driver I have Download keep say that it unsupported.

I have tried smartstart 7 still no look,

Can anybody help.