ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753946 Members
7539 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to setup a second RAID HDD - DL320

tomj

How to setup a second RAID HDD - DL320

Would anyone know the procedure for installing a second RAID HDD ProLiant DL320 G5 Xeon 3060 and the approx time this is likely to take?
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, what is it that you want to do?

Expand the array with another hard drive?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I believe the time it takes to expand a RAID 5 is 15minutes per gigabyte.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1190499

rebuild priority seems to do a lot on the time, what controller are you using?
tomj

I have a DL320 G5 running Server 2003 and I would like to add a second RAID HDD without losing and current data.

I have a HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller User Guide and really would like know if this is what I should follow and the approx time it will take.

Server Specificatiob : HP Rack ProLiant DL320 G5 Xeon 3060 (2.4GHz) 1066FSB, 1x4MB, SATA (HP Backplane, 160GB, 1GB)
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Well there's many ways to do it.

If you just want to add another hard drive to a raid that would probably work without buying an extra controller.

If you have a raid 1 now, you need to add at least two more hard drives.
If you have raid5 you can add one.
Fastest way is probably to get a backup of your array, delete array, create new array with the new hard drive(s) and put the data back on.

The embedded controller is not the fastest one out there. Expanding could take a day at least, depends how large hard drives and how many hard drives.

But if you were to get a smart array controller you would have to get all the data on to a backup and then move the hard drives to the new controller and create a new array.