Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start DL380 G6 in DOS

SOLVED
Go to solution

How to start DL380 G6 in DOS

Hi,

I want to install a firmware to a card. For this I must use DOS. The HP Drive Key Boot Utility does not work. It restart directly when the server boots it. I also used BartPE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE), but the system is very slow.

Is there an other way to get DOS access?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES
1ndian
Advisor

Re: How to start DL380 G6 in DOS

Hi Ludwig,

You can download online flash utility that can be run within the Windows Operating System or download offline version and burn to a CD/USB (using drive key utility).

you can also check and see if USB has higher priority in the 'standard boot order' section in the BIOS settings. may be thats the reason server boots into OS directly.

Hope this helps

regards,

1ndian

I am using Linux and it is not a HP hardware, so the Smart Firmware Update DVD won't do anything. The hardware firmware does not have an ISO, just an exe file.

The boot order, etc is correct.

Thanks for your reply!

1ndian
Advisor

if you have software assurance from Microsoft, you can use Microsoft ERD Commander. When you make the ERD CD, include the current hardware drivers and add the firmware exe. once you boot with this CD, it's a window 7 based evironment (you need windows 7 or 2008/r2 to create the cd). you should be able to run the exe and patch the firmware. I've used this CD integrated with browser, utilities, etc... I believe this should work.

Solution

I used an external USB diskette reader, it worked. It is an Adaptec SCSI card (29320lpe).

In the readme file: 

Flash6 utility is a DOS-based program and should be run under a pure DOS environment.