ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752783 Members
6055 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to switch to HBA mode for HP Smart array P410i controller and HP Smart array P440ar controll

tikok974
Visitor

How to switch to HBA mode for HP Smart array P410i controller and HP Smart array P440ar controller..

Hi everybody !

We have 2 HP Proliant DL 380 G9 (Raid controller: HP Smart array P440ar controller) and 1 ML 350 G6 (Raid controller: HP Smart array P410i). We want to switch HP Smart array P410i controller and HP Smart array P440ar controller to HBA mode because we want to create ZFS storage into many disks (it's strongly recommanded to do that for ZFS storage).

How we can do that please ? ...we have not found any procedures described in the controller documentation !

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to switch to HBA mode for HP Smart array P410i controller and HP Smart array P440ar controll

For the P4400ar you do this from SSA utility, for the P410 it is not supported. You may consider to create RAID0 per disk.

see for example https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/DL380p-Gen8-P420i-exit-out-of-HBA-mode/td-p/6938514

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tikok974
Visitor

Thanks @Torsten. for your reply !
I'll try to do that and keep you posted !

I download the SSA utility here.

Many thanks !

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Your choices are:

- download a current offline version:  https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_024fe3a9a125415c80dc674685

- press F10 during start for Intelligent Provisioning

or

- boot an SPP image

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tikok974
Visitor

Hi everybody,

I try to enable HBA mode and i made it for HP Smart array P440ar ;)

That's how I did it:

1. Boot to HP Smart array configuration utility (F10)
  2. Erase all RAID array (you can choose "Clear configuration" option)
  3. Choose "Enable HBA Mode"
  4. Reboot server

I then installed the Proxmox distribution (via DVD) where I was able to create a ZFS storage for "/". At the end of the installation, when I rebooted the server, I couldn't start on my distribution !
I have checked the settings in the BIOS and the controller (HP Smart array P440ar) is in the "boot order" list. I tried to install Legacy Mode or UEFI but the result is the same !

How can I fix this booting problem on my OS with HBA Mode ?

Thanks

netadvanced

For thos who like me have a p410i on an ancient HP DL380 G7 / Gen7 and wish to use it with CEPH for example,and need the controller in full HBA mode, it can be done !!

I found the solution here https://medium.com/@terryjx/enable-it-mode-on-hp-smart-array-p410i-raid-card-on-hp-dl380-gen7-servers-4e827eeb78ca

In short you have to compile a tool to change the controller setting to HBA mode, and add patch the kernel to see the raw devices after that. Pretty trivial to do, but not trivial to find the soluton.. Works like a charm so far.

MIKEHERO

Hi there

I will really appricate if you can  post the step by step instructions to mod  P410i   controller   mod to   HBA/IT

We will have to install   which version of Ubuntu ?  on pen drive ? or  on any physical disk  ?

Thanks and Regards