ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)

How to switch to the integrated Intel secondary HBA from the P410i

senseivita

How to switch to the integrated Intel secondary HBA from the P410i

I have this old server stored away that I thought it'd be great for extra storage, maybe a slightly overkill webapps server. I did not remember it has this horrible Smart Array P410i controller which is everything but smart as it's extremely limited in what it can do and it tends to disable disks when they start to fill up--In software-defined storage (my goal this time) turning off disks can trigger a heavy resilver/rebuild, crash or both.

In the hardware inventory in the BIOS it is listed a second HBA, by Intel. It's also visible on vSphere/vCenter:

...but, when I disable the P410i and select the Intel one as to boot from, it just doesn't. It doesn't recognize the disks at all.

I figured I needed to unplug the SAS cables from where they connect to the P410i and plug them into the appropiate port except there isn't one! Furthermore, they don't connect to a controller card or some special assembly or anything like that; they connect straight to the server's motherboard; the dedicated memory module for the RAID controller also sits in the same vecinity at the back of the motherboard. This is why I assuming the Intel controller is somewhere in there and the switch happens logically.

I double checked if I wasn't mistaking it as the connection bus for the optical drive (it still has one of those) but it connects via USB, and, there is in fact more than one of these Intel controllers, each it's said to have 4 SATA ports matching perfectly the hardware. The P410i is divided in sets of 4 as well.

How can boot from the Intel controller? Does it have physical ports to connect into at all or is its inclusion some vestigial object from the "upgrade" to Smart (... ) one? I honestly don't know, back when this server was in service it used networked storage for the very same reason.

I'm afraid I'll end up hunting for a controller on eBay.

Thanks for  your help (or advice)!

2 REPLIES 2
mysy
Valued Contributor

Re: How to switch to the integrated Intel secondary HBA from the P410i

I instaill the esxi 6.7 system to HP onboard TF card,  use HP P420 PCIE card connect to front HDD cage. 

Make sure your esxi with hp oem driver include or hp oem version install package. that make hp p420 p440 raid or hba card work in esxi system .

ksram
HPE Pro

Re: How to switch to the integrated Intel secondary HBA from the P410i

Hi,

Thank you for the Post.

May we please know what is the Server model that you are referring.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo