5327 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to tell if I can hot swap drives on my Gen 9 Server

adamdb_uk
Frequent Advisor

How to tell if I can hot swap drives on my Gen 9 Server

Hi all, 

is there a way to check if a drive is considered to be hot swappable on a DL 360 gen 9 series server? We plan to swap out some 200gb SSD's due to wear and replace them with 400gb drives of the same type under warranty. The guides seem to indicate this should be able to be done via hot swapping (the affected drives are in a RAID 1 pairing behind a P440ar controller with 2gb ofcache and configured to use HPE SmartPath). We are swapping

MO0200EBTJU HP G8 G9 200-GB 6G 3.5 SATA MLC SSD

for

SPS-DRV SSD 400GB 6G SFF SATA WI-3 QR (Part  882148-001 ).

I guess I just wanted to  double check this is ok as I'm struggling to find any definitive information.

thanks.

Ad.

<Edit >

So a bit more google fu has revealed this document.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00052033en_us

this appears to indicate that MO0200EBTJU does support hot swap however I'm still struggling to find any info for the  400gb drive. I believe it may be EK000400GWEPE but that appears to have a different part number as a spare (872512-001).  I've found matches for the spare part code at partsurfer (https://partsurfer.hpe.com/Search.aspx?searchText=882148-001)  but there's no data about the drive sadly. My guess is it will be fine but I like to be 100% sure of these things when pulling drives from production kit..  

Oh well.

5 REPLIES 5
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi @adamdb_uk 

Same drive model can be SFF/LFF also Hot Plug/Non-HotPlug, so check drive specification with spare part number.

however in this case:

EK000400GWEPE => SATA Hot Plug Drives (SFF form factor)
MO0200EBTJU => Hot Plug and Non-Hot-Plug both are avaialble in SFF/LFF, so check

and yes you are checking at right place

HPE Hard Disk Drives - Hard Drive Model Number Matrix
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c00305257#N10050

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

adamdb_uk
Frequent Advisor

thanks for confirming. Sadly I can't see the part number from either ILO or SSM and if you look the serial up via warranty support you need to provide the part number so I guess that kind of defeats the object of the whole process!

so I guess I'll have to hope its the hotswap version!

regards,

Ad.

vijay9
HPE Pro

Hello Adam, 

Yes, i checked your below concern and this drive model EK000400GWEPE hot swap 

https://www.disctech.com/Hewlett-Packard-HPE-872355-B21-400GB-MLC-SATA-Solid-State-Drive-Kit-651687-001

Regards, 

VIjay 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

adamdb_uk
Frequent Advisor

Yes, indeed the __replacement_ drive is hot swap. however without pulling the current live 200gb drive i cannot determine if it's hot swap or not. I tried searching for it via warranty cover using the drive serial number against _all the part numbers listed on partsurfer for the 200gb drive in 2.5" form (MO0200EBTJU) but I can't get it to match against any of them sadly...

I am pretty sure we'll be fine as I would doubt we'd order non hot swap drives these days however it's always nice to know beforehand

if there is any other tool for serial number checking aside from the one on the support portal let me know!

thanks.

vijay9
HPE Pro

Hello Adam, 

Sorry, there is no other tool to check this. 

Regards, 

Vijay 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo