ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753792 Members
3253 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

How using 3rd party memory and HDD/SSD will affect HPE server warranty?

Limo
Occasional Contributor

How using 3rd party memory and HDD/SSD will affect HPE server warranty?

Hello, 

I tried to find the answer for this question, but couldn't get exact one. Here it's written that it doesn't affect servers warranty : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-lpn11980 , but it's old document and stated that this answer is for HP Netserver, not sure if it's applicable for current servers. 

So can I get anwer from HPE represantative if using non HPE memory (RAM) and HDD/SSD on HPE gen9/10 server will nullify or won't affect server's warranty?

P.S. I understand that non HPE memory/hdd/ssd won't give you full compability, performance, etc. 

1 REPLY 1
Donkerg
Occasional Advisor

Re: How using 3rd party memory and HDD/SSD will affect HPE server warranty?

Well, my "new" refurbished server is out of warranty so I can experiment anything I want. 

Instead of 15K 146 GB drives I,ve bought 1  Samsung SSD, s just to see if it accepted it. 

Well it did,. so I bought 4 others and the read and write speeds are much higher than the sas speeds.  Currently raid 10 config with 1 spare is up to 1800MB read speed and +- 900 write.  Crystal diskmark tested. 

IO is also much highter.   So far for buying HP stuff for out of warranty servers. 

Also tested today if I could pull out a disk to see if the Samsung 860 is a hot swappable disk ( no idea how to find that on HPE sites,), but the drive bay failed, then reinserted the disk and it started rebuilding).  So that works also.  Gonna test tomorrow with a new disk.  Just to be sure that when the server is in production I can replace drives if they fail.

My server is a HP(E) Proliant DL380P G8

Yeah, I know. The samsung disks aren`t HPE enttled to work on a HPE server, but hey than they shouldn`t make ssd drives so enormous expensive.