1753259 Members
5674 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hp smart array disabled

Niroa
Advisor

Hp smart array disabled

Hi everybody, i have configured hp smart array controller in Bios on my hp proliant server ml310e 8gen. As I couldn’t search the driver for riad controller, i installed centos without driver and it remained like no hw raid configured. Then i decided to configure software raid. After syncing finish between two disks, I restarted the server and it says no hdd. On boot screen it says “Hp smart array is not configured “ and everytime i reconfigured the raid on bios, it gets back to “not configured “ status. Always trying to boot from cd. How to back into normal to boot the os with software raid? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
SudhakarP10
HPE Pro

Hi 

it is important to know what controller you are using, you cannot use the drive unless you configure raid on the raid controller. if the controller has hba mode option, only then the drives can be directly access in OS without raid configuration. 

i would also like to know how did get to install the OS without the driver. 

Regards / Sudhakar

HPE Employee

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Niroa
Advisor

Hello Sudhakar, first of all thanks for the reply.  As I mentioned in my question, I have configured raid on the raid controller enabling a logical volume on the raid array (I hope this is the raid configuration that you are talking about).

But the OS installation is done by booting from the CD and proceed to install without having the hardware raid driver.

While the OS installation is not recognizing the Raid controller (Smart Array controller), it shows me both the two hard disks (sda and sdb) instead of one hard disk (sda). Because Smart Array controller driver is not loaded at the begining of the OS installation. I think I have explained well.

Thanks.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

might be good to include a screenshot.  As Sudhakar mentioned please provide details on what disk controller(s) are in your system.  The ML 310 Gen8 ships with the HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller, but can also have a HP Smart Array P222 or P420 .  Since you mention the OS reports two drives after creating the array,  an easy guess would be that you are using the B120i embedded SATA controller.  The B120i is a software based RAID controller and requires a special driver that controls the raid function. This driver is available for various versions of Windows and Linux. The Linux drivers are kernel release specific.   The driver for the 'P' series controllers are included with all supported OS's. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
SudhakarP10
HPE Pro

Hi, 

Ok, I understand that the raid configured on the smart array controller. 

Some OS will default storage controllers. and agree that it maight have worked. 

while raid controller is not recognized the driver will not recognize, and once RAID is created the individual drives will not be available for access. 

Please share the Controller Model. (hope this is not dynamic controller)

Regards / Sudhakar

HPE Employee

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Niroa
Advisor

Hello friends, as well as both of you said, the controller is HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller. When I was installing Centos 7, I've faced no problem, installed as normal.