1753902 Members
9272 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hyper-V R2 Server new Network Adapter Drivers not loading

Gavin Raymen
Occasional Visitor

Hyper-V R2 Server new Network Adapter Drivers not loading

I'm deploying a Failover cluster using Hyper-V R2 server (build 7600).
The servers are two HP DL360G6s with two NC382 Dual port Network Adapters and one NC375T Quad Port Network Adapter.

My problem is the driver installation for the NC375T Quad Port NIC.
These adapters were installed in the servers after the Hyper-V installation and after the Failover cluster had been created.

After physically installing the NICS in both servers I downloaded the latest HP drivers (v 4.0.516.13005) and installed them.

My problem is that only 1 port on the Quad Port adapter will function. All ports light up when connected to the switch but in the Hyper-V management screen only 1 new LAN adapter appears rather then 4 new ones.

Using remote device manager I can see all 4 new adapters and 3 of them show with the warning triangle.
Checking the properties of each teh device status says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

The problem is exactly the same on both nodes - NC375T Adapter 1 is working and numbers 2 - 4 indicate the driver is missing.

I've tried using Pnpuntil to re-install the driver and have tried an older driver version as well.
On one node I have removed the Virtual network and restarted to see if the issue related the Hyper-V virtual networks.

At this stage I'm out of ideas
4 REPLIES 4
chris_535
Occasional Advisor

Im getting the exact same thing with a DL360 G5 and a NC380T card, only one port showing up.

Any soloutions for this..?

Chris
Gavin Raymen
Occasional Visitor

Chris - can you post some more details about your setup.
I have a support case open with HP.
There suggestion was to to remove the node from the cluster and remove / reinstall the drivers.
I have been thorugh evicting one node from the cluster - removing the drivers using the SC command and attempting to reinstall them.
After trying this about three different ways I'm back to the exact same place as where I started.
I'm worried that the issue may be either a driver or O/S bug.
chris_535
Occasional Advisor

Hi my setup is a DL360G5 with a NC380T. Im running HyperV server 2008 R2 of the internal USB Stick. basicly i installed hyper v the PSP 8.3 for win2k8 x64. I have it setup initialy using the onboard nics, 1 for management and other for VM,s. Hyper V was only in a workgroup. I then installed the NC380T and the latest drives for server 2008 x64 cp010995 installed these.

When i first plued the card in only one port came up and after the driver install it was the same,only one port showed up in NCU aswell.

What ive done now to test, is to set up another USB stick and reinstall Hyper V server 2008 R2 on this whith the nc380T card plugged in and this time it is detected and installed corectly with both ports showing even before i install drivers or PSP.

So now im wondering if there is a set order to install being to have all hardware plugged in first then install. Hope fully not as this is quite limiting.

Chris
Gavin Raymen
Occasional Visitor

Well hopefully this helps out someone.

Eventually I decided rebuild one of the systems and see if this would solve the issue.
I evicted the machine from the cluster and ran a clean install of Hyper-V server R2 by booting from Smartstart v 8.3
Once the install was complete I installed the NIC driver from the executable file. i.e I chucked the download onto a usb key and on the Hyper-V command line typed the file name and clicked install.
Straight away all four interfaces on the NC375T were visable (ipconfig /all).

So it does indeed appear that you need to install all the hardware first before sticking any disks in the machine.
Ironically this is what I wrote in my pre-build document but the quad port nics were late to arrive so I had to make a start.