ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748119 Members
3208 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I can't install Windows Server 2008 x64 on Proliant DL 180 G5 with Smart Array P400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grigorii Bublic

I can't install Windows Server 2008 x64 on Proliant DL 180 G5 with Smart Array P400

Proliant DL 180 G5 (E5405, 2Gb Ram)(bios - 019, 10.25.2010)

Smart Array P400 Controller in slot 6 with 256Mb onboard (firmware 7.22):

RAID 1+0 - 2x750Gb Seagate (System)
RAID 5 - 3x750Gb Seagate (Files)
RAID 5 - 3x750Gb Seagate (Files)

Firmware on mainboard, RAID Controller and ILo is up to date (december 2010).

Big problem is that I can't install Windows Server 2008 R2 or any else x64-windows platform.
During installation Windows Server 2008 x64-platform appears BSOD (on picture). I tryed to install it from USB DVD-Reader. BSOD appears right 2 seconds after "starting windows" in the beginning of installation. Also I tryed to install it from PXE, installation successfully finishes, but in first start of OS appears the same BSOD.

I tryed to disable Virtualization in mainboard bios and have tryed a lot of Windows DVD, but it's nothing.

Windows Server 2008 32 bits is running without any issues and problems.

7 REPLIES 7
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: I can't install Windows Server 2008 x64 on Proliant DL 180 G5 with Smart Array P400

You can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

I would suggest to perform some diagnosis on the processor and hard drives.

If only x64bit is failing I would suspect a processor fault.

Try swapping the processor and test.

Good Luck.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Have you tried to disconnect the USB dvd-reader - or disable it in BIOS?

searched around a little apparently some people have had memory issues that caused this - please run a memtest86 (a boot cd to test the RAM) on the server.
Grigorii Bublic

I already disable all usb ports and try again to install from the PXE, but it's nothing. Think that replacing the processor is the last chance.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

uh, replacing cpu just like that?

run a memory test on it

what if you use the built-in controller card and not the p400 - does that work?

what if you don't have all those disks connected.
you can download the ADU offline test from hp.com and run on the disks, maybe the disk array in the raid 1+0 ( i presume this is where you try to install it ) has some errors?

do you have any other extra hardware installed? fc card, extra nic etc?
Grigorii Bublic

All memory tests passed ok.

I tryed to connect HDD directly to mainboard, there's no power cords for HDD out of backplane (((

So next, I find 2 SATA connectors on the backplane. Should mainboard see HDD in bays 1 and 2 for example, if I connect these 2 SATA?

I know that need to disconnect P400 from mainboard, may be it help to find these HDD, but without a working P400 this server I do not need.

All logical arrays is ok. All lights on front are green and ACU shows ok.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ouch, but aren't there any power cords coming from the power supply?

According to the quickspecs this should be available:

Storage Controllers:

HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller (up to 4 hard drive support on standard BTO models)
NOTE: Transfer rate 1.5 Gb/s SATA