1753971 Members
8486 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I can't install linux mandrake

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I can't install linux mandrake

I try to install Linux Mandrake, it doesn't recognize the cd-rom. I made a image boot disk but it still doesn't work! What can I do, after I try to install the cd-rom it can't go any further.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The Prosignia VS is not certified for the Linux OS. The distribution of Linux you are trying to install does not have the required drivers. You should be installing the OS onto a system model that has been tested and certifed for the distribution and version of Linux you are wanting to use.

But if you obtain the correct Linux drivers from the Internet, then you can install the Linux OS onto this system. The Prosignia VS is using a Simbios Logic 53C710 SCSI controller chip set. Simbios was aquired by NCR, so the driver name is now NCR53C710. You can download the required Linux driver from this web address.
http://www.sleepie.demon.co.uk/ncr53c710/

You will need to use the custom install method and make a Linux boot partition first that is 100 MB or less. Then partition the rest of the SCSI drive any way you want. Also you need to make a Linux swap partition that is twice the size of the amount of memory that is in the system.

When your are prompted as to where to install the Lilo boot manager, select the Linux boot partition. Then the Lilo boot manager will be able to boot the Linux OS from the SCSI hard drive.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Linux Mandrake has had its kernel optimised for Pentium class processors. I don't think that it will run reliably on a Prosignia AS even if you could get it to install. Depending on your level of expertise I would suggest that you obtain another distribution more oriented towards a server role. Maybe Slack ware or Debian may be a better bet. I'm going to have a look at Core and Sure just because they are the ones I have to hand.