ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752781 Members
6085 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I can't start a RAID 5 with only 2 disks of 3

Daniel Crivill├й

I can't start a RAID 5 with only 2 disks of 3

I've a Compaq ML 370 first generation, with 3 disk in Raid 5 with Windows 2000 Server. One disk was broken and when I extract the disk, the system shutdown. Now I can start the system because it can't find one disk, but the others 2 disk are Ok (bios software). The system partition is in this RAID5.
Is possible start with 2 disks? What can I do, to start whith 2 disks? When I put the new 3 disk, the system start correctly?.
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

You are supposed to be able to put in a new drive and have it rebuild the array - then you should be able to boot and use your system. I don't have any links to documentation on how this is done, but maybe someone else can provide such.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Duminda Peiris
Advisor

You should be able to start the system with 2 disks, if the disks are configures in Raid 5.
Whenever the third disk is available and physically inserted to the array, it'll start building the array back to normal state.

Shawn_82
Occasional Advisor

If the system boots the o/s and you are happy everything is intact and you are sure you know the faulty one, usally can tel by the light on the front the bad one should show red or no lights is dead. Then remove and add teh new disk and it will rebuild itself, takes time depending on the size, and type.

I would suggest if the o/s is booting then take a backup before doing anything.

You can check the status of the drives through the CPQ Raid utility, if you don't have it loaded on the o/s you will find it on smartstart or on the compaq web site.
Thomas Hoberg
Advisor

Are you perhaps using a software RAID? If not, what type of controller?