5769 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I got a Proliant 5000 but don't know how to make it run

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Yeh_1

I got a Proliant 5000 but don't know how to make it run

My Proliant 5000 come without a HDD, So I want to use Live CD(knoppix) to run it, but when it's booting, it says it only have 13MB ram...so it can't boot correctly.Then I install a IDE card and a IDE cdrom and a bootable IDE HDD, but nothing happen...BIOS seems don't support to boot from other device, and I use FedoraCore live cd to boot it...nothing happen but tell me to insert a bootable media....if I insert a winXP bootable cd, it shows some error message.
Please tell me what can I do??should I go get some compaq SCSI 2 HDD with the same part No. in the menual??
I only use PC before,This is my first time to use this kind of computer(server)...don't know how to deal with it.Please help me.
7 REPLIES 7
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: I got a Proliant 5000 but don't know how to make it run

Eric:

You need to use the System Configuration Utility from here:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
You will need 4 diskettes to build this SoftPAQ.

Be sure to select your boot controller order and to set your O/S selection to Unix or Linux.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Eric Yeh_1

John
Thanks a lot.
I download and made 4 disk.But during configuration, only 3 disk was needed,is that correct?
I set the boot other to A->CDROM->C(default)
and set OS to Linux.
But when I insert a redhat 9 boot cd to install,it's still show me "not enought memory" then hang.....why?? I don't have any HDD on this server yet(I'm starting to looking for compaq scsi2 HDD on ebay now :P ),if I install HDD onto this server...will this "not enough memory" problem be solved??(by swap on fix disk)
It's really different to install a OS on a PC and a Compaq server....It's killing me.....
Thanks a lot for helping me.
Eric Yeh_1

Oh...another thing...my ProLiant got quad p pro 200(512kb) and 1GBram(linux only got 16MB when booting)...
Which version of SmartStart CD should I get??5.5 is working on ProLiant 5000??I download 7.X on compaq's website....don't work.
Which version you suggest me to use if I want to install win2000 and Linux on it?
Thanks again.
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Try using the Compaq smart start 4.9. It will work with your system. I am not sure if it will allow linux but I am sure it will allow the cd boot order.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

You can order version 5.50 from HP. This version will work in both servers:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/ssphone.html

You may need to re-run the SCU and select Edit Configuration and press:
A
For advanced features.

Then change you APIC to Full Table Mapped.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Eric Yeh_1

I rerun the SCU again and ctrl+shift+a to enable advance.APIC full mapped was enable already.I try to disable and use linux boot cd to boot,still just got 16M,then I re-enable APIC full mapped,reboot,still 16M...
I saw some configure like:
extended memory 1-16M installed
extended memory 16-512M installed
super extended memory 512-1024M installed
It seems like this computer designed to have 3 memory level??and linux only can catch level 1?!
I use Dos 7.1 boot disk to boot....it can catch 1G ram....
I got 4 4.3 SCSI2 HDD on ebay....maybe after I got it and install it to my proliant 5000 then I try to use this computer,now I will just freez it there :P
Thanks for helping me.
Ben Kohler
Solution

you need to append some kernel boot paramaters to get the correct amount of ram. here is what i use on my proliant 5000 w/ 320m ram:

for kernel 2.4.x:
linux mem=exactmap mem=640K@0 mem=319M@1M

for kernel 2.6.x:
linux mem=exactmap memmap=640K@0 memmap=319M@1M

if you have a different amount of ram, like 512M ram, you would use 511M@1M... just make that part 1M less than your total.