1751971 Members
4531 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I have 2 adapters witha array of 6 drives each

erics3000
Occasional Advisor

I have 2 adapters witha array of 6 drives each

I have 2 adapters with a array of 6 drives each. They were spanned in diskmangement to make raid 5. I htought they had a hot spare configured but nope. 2 drives failed and the one array rebuilt itself. Can I at least get teh data from the other array if this one has lost it.

here is the config
Adapter 0 Physical Drives
Chanel 0 = Optimal Raid 1 (OS Drives) Both drives are online
Chanel 1 = This is one part array of the volume with bad drive.The drive I just put in shows rebuild and the other 5 drives for this aray show online.
Adapter 0 Logical Drives
Array 0 = LDO:Raid 1 Optimal (OS)
Array 1 =LD1: Raid5 this had 2 bad drives and now it is rebuilt and optimal

Adapter 1
Chanel 0 = Disabeled
Channel 1= All 6 drives are Online
Adapter 0 Logical Drives
Artray 0 = LDO RAID5 Optimal (this is the other 6 drives

When I look in disk management I see

I look below and I see
disk 1 Online basic 1396.48 gb unallocated
disk 2 dynamic online 1396.48 gb failed( I assume this is the one rebuilding)
There is another dynamic disk with no number and a red X on it and it says Missing Dynamic 1396.48 GB offline failed

There is a total of 12 300 gig drives in the external raid. which i think the total capacity o fthe raid was 139.48

Hereis my question??
1. Do you think if I run restore to a date before the crash it might the config back? Since everything looks good in web bios and now i have the diskmangement issue???

2. I could also make the one disk that is spanned change it from basic back to dynamic and see if that brings it back up??

3. Or if i make the unalocated basic adn add it to the sapn of the dynamic that is failed I might get some data?
3 REPLIES 3
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Re: I have 2 adapters witha array of 6 drives each

im kinda confused, you have software raid on top of hardware raid?
erics3000
Occasional Advisor

The drives were added in the webbios. And windows diskmanagement was used to span the 2 to make 1 big partition. I am going to recongiure the server.
erics3000
Occasional Advisor

When you saw Hardware raid do you mean hte web bios and software raid is ofcoarse the software. I assume to use the web bios to build 2 arrays raid 5 since each adapter card could not support the 2 terra byte raid. Then disk management span. Than I se the drives in dsoftware nad replace if they show bad.

Is that not prefered? Trying to remeber..