108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I need Smart Start 4.9

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Denver
Advisor

Do you have an email address that I can send the logon info? If I post the login, I am afraid of people posting malicious ISOs and naming them Smart Start 4.9.iso etc.

Thanks.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Send to ikar30@hotmail.com
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Rather than rely on folklore, conjecture and outright guessing, there is a source for information like this: http://www.hp.com/servers/smartstart --> Support Matrices --> SmartStart Server Support Matrix --> Retired Servers. The 3000 and 5500 are in fact on the list as supported by 5.5. If you are having a problem trying to use 5.5, it's not the version, you have another problem.
John Denver
Advisor

I talked with a tech @ HP and they said that 5.5 is for series 1 servers and newer. They said my servers are pre-series 1. I will try 4.9 and if I can't get that to work, perhaps someone here can give me a hand getting my servers running.

I will send the FTP login info to that address.
John Denver
Advisor

Okay guys here is the run down.

Thank you very much for your help thus far. 4.9 seems to be working great. I ran it on a Windows PC and created the following Diskettes:

Erase
System Config (4 disks total)
Array Config (2 disks total)

I ran the erase disk first.

Then I ran the System config. I said "this system is not configured, do you want to configure?"

I ran thru the configuration prompts. Everything seemed be going OKAY. It only asked for the first 2 (of four) system config disks.

I booted back into the 1st system config disk and chose System Configuration from the options menu. Then I chose "Drive Array Configuration".

I inserted the 1st array config diskette and pressed enter. It asked me to reboot. I did.

I was assuming it was going to run the drive array config, but all I get was the same error (drive array not configured, run system config utility) then it took me to a screen and said:
"invalid or non-system disk" etc.

What am I missing here?
John Denver
Advisor

One thing I forgot, if I let the server boot to the Smart Start 4.9 CD, it will give me an error (after a long wait):

CD or CDROM error
Press enter to restart Smart Start

That will reboot the server and give the same error if I allow it to boot to the CDROM again.