ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748125 Members
3218 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I need more space on my D drive

I need more space on my D drive

I am running Exchange Enterprise server on a windows server 2003 standard. The server is a DL380 G4 with 6-72 GB drives. I had the first 4 disks on raid 5 with C (50 GB) and D (160 GB)drive. The last 2 disks on a mirror with E (72 GB) drive. OS on C drive, database on D drive and transaction log and full text index on E drive. Now, my D drive is running out of space. C drive have 30 GB left and E drive have 16 GB left. My plan is this:
_move the indexes to C drive
_move the transaction log to another server
_Boot the server off of the Smart Start CD and use the ACU to blow away the mirror
_Rescan the array (hopfully I'll see the new unused space - 144 GB)
_Expand the array to include the unused space
_Extend the logical drive (D drive)
I have these questions:
1) Do you think my plan will work?
2) How long do you think this will take?
3) Is there a way to do this online without bringing the server down?
4) If #3 is yes, how do I do it and would it be slower?
I am planning to do this over the upcoming weekend. Any help asap would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Kit Cheng
4 REPLIES 4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

let me see your plan is to add more space to D partition without replacing actual HDDs with bigger ones. Am I correct?

if so you have to use a 3 party software partitioner to add space from C or E to D.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/partitioning.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!

Hi Karlo,

I am blowing away the mirrored 72 GB that I have already.
Anyways, it looks like my boss is having problem with the downtime this may involve. How about this:
_move the indexes to C drive
_move the transaction log to another server
_Clear out everything else in E drive
_Move the public store to E drive
Essentially, having only the private store on D drive and only the public store on the E drive.

How long do you think it will take to move a 35 GB pub1.edb and a 7.4 GB pub1.stm?

Thanks

Kit Cheng

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I which I could help you with times / SQL but I really don't know about that what f you ask that in SQL forum

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
SIT
Regular Advisor

Hi,

The software your talking about : Acronis DiskDirector Server 10, is it a complete evaluation copy for 30 days or functionnality are reduced ?

Thanks