HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to delete the compaq diagnostic partition on a 6500

Robert Way
Occasional Visitor

I want to delete the compaq diagnostic partition on a 6500

How can I do this while saving my current installation of W2K Server. I'm guessing I can do it with FDISK or a third party util but the OS is expecting to boot from partition 2, do I need to edit the OS to boot from 1 since the EISA partition will be gone.
3 REPLIES
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Re: I want to delete the compaq diagnostic partition on a 6500

Hi Robert:

you cannot get ride of your EISA partion; and why would you want to do that.

If you attempt to delete it you might lose your RIS table (Array raid info on the drives) it is like delpart; will wipe your Master boot record.

you normally have 8 meg partion and 26-39 meg EISA partion this is your F10 SCU the CMOS software for your bios.

If you remove that you cannot go to the bios and configure changes; will have to boot to smartstart or SCU floppy sp19619.exe

I will not delete it; if you are going to do it anyways ; make sure you have good backup.

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Robert Way
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your concern but I have my reasons and am aware of the consequences but I still need a good method to get the EISA partition out of there and save my W2K partition and be able to boot from it.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

You should be able to delete it using either Fdisk or booting up to the Win2000 cd and using the disk carving utility (without an OS install).

You should, at a minimum, add an additional entry to your boot.ini for partition(1).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..