ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753402 Members
7424 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IDE CD-RW/DVD on Proliant ML350 SCSI

Paolo Bellei

IDE CD-RW/DVD on Proliant ML350 SCSI

I'm trying to install an HP IDE CDRW/DVD drive (DL976T) on a Proliant ML350T03 (470062-126) with a SCSI HD configuration, but when the drive is connected to the IDE bus (also if not power supplied), the server does not start and the "internal health LED" in the front (the 2nd from the left) is red.
Anybody knows about conflicts or problems (I've seen that with the server HP gives another drive model (331346-B21))?
2 REPLIES 2
Paolo Bellei

On the CDRW/DVD drive I've seen also the HP PN 352606-ED0
Nick Walton
Frequent Advisor

It is well known on these forums that the IDE interface in Proliant SCSI servers is a cut-down read-only interface. It is really only there to allow software to be loaded. The SCSI interface is what the server is expected to use for read and write activity.

So, I would not even try to install a read/write drive on the IDE interface in a Proliant SCSI server. Any quoted part numbers may well be for an IDE version of the server. I cannot be certain of that as I am not an expert on the part numbers.

I presume that the system starts and is well behaved with a regular read-only CDROM drive fitted?

HTH. Remember to assign points.
It's got two chances - it will either work or it won't!