1753766 Members
5559 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IDE Hard drive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

IDE Hard drive

Can I install a third party IDE hard drive controller card such as the ones made by Promise on a ML 350 to get the BIOS to forcibly recognize a IDE Hard drive on the machine
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You can use the onboard IDE controller instead purchasing a additional card, but the boot order will change to IDE then SCSI, because its the system board default setting.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I'm trying to do the same thing, add an IDE hard drive with a Promise controller. However, I'd like the system to boot off of the LC2 controller as it is doing now, not the IDE drive. When I plug in the IDE drive, the system won't boot. Will this configuration be possible, or do I have to put a boot partition on the IDE drive?
Thanks!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

How can you get it to boot of the IDE, I can see the IDE but not see it as a boot option??????
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

How do you get the G2 to boot from and IDE. It is not an option in my BIOS. My system will boot from and IDE CDROM and install 2000 to the IDE Drive, but not boot from it
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have an ML350 and have used the onboard IDE controller in the past. DO NOT DO THIS! The onboard controller is for the IDE CD-ROM only. We experienced a high degree of system instability under this configuration. If you want to run IDE on these server invest in a good IDE controller that specifically supports (ie. you can see the options in the controller BIOS) booting. Use the lowest number PCI slot available and good luck... it a bear to setup but worth it once you do.