1752397 Members
5967 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IDE boot on ML310 D12

SOLVED
Go to solution

IDE boot on ML310 D12

One of my customers has a Proliant ML310 D12 with a defective SCSI Drive, furthermore the old harddisk is to small. I want to place a large IDE drive and use it as a system drive.
During setup of Windows 2000 server, the drive is recognized. Formatting and copying files works fine. After the reboot, booting fails.

In the Bios I tried to change the controller boot order. There is however no option to do this. If I enter "Controller boot order" I see both the SCSI (at position 1) and the IDE controller (at position 2). Selecting one does not give me the ability to change the position.
Disabeling the SCSI device doesn't work. Disconnecting all IDE and SCSI devices did not work.
Updating the Bios did not work.
Any help is appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

There's two different version of the system board available in this server. The ATA model has an embedded ATA raid controller and the SCSI model has an embedded SCSI controller. If you're using the SCSI model, then it's unlikely you'll get and IDE drive to work, since the IDE drive designed to work in this server is the CDROM.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..

Thanks,
I placed a PCI-IDE controller. Connected the harddrive and entered the bios. I can select the pci-card as primary boot interface and run Windows From it.
My problem is solved!

The reply posted by another user helped me to solve the problem.