Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDE drive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

IDE drive

Hi,

I know that this has been discussed earlier in the forums, but I'm not really satisfied with the answer.

I have a ML330 server that runs as a MDC in a Windows 2000 network. Windows 2000 is installed on a SCSI harddrive, and I also have a secondary SCSI drive installed. I now want to install a third harddrive to use as a temporary storage on the system. The information on this harddrive is not important, so I only bought an IDE drive.

Upon installing the IDE drive I am not able to boot the computer on the SCSI drives, even though my BIOS setup says that the IDE controller is the second controller. In my opinion it should therefore be possible to boot on the SCSI drives, which does not work.

Has anyone any tips on how to get this working?

Regards,

Andr?as
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: IDE drive

IDE drives are generally detected first, SCSI drive aren't detected until the SCSI card is detected by the system (after IDE devices). There should be an option in your BIOS to set you primary boot device.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: IDE drive

I also have found the same to be true however, my scenario is reversed. I loaded win 2000 server on an IDE drive on the server feature board and boots fine, now when in installed a 39160 adaptec and 2 drives says no boot drive can be found I also have messed with the controller boot order in the Bios and it does not make any difference which order you use, it appears you cannot mix the two drive types in this model.