cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ILO 3 - Drive information is not available on this system

Keith Martin_3
Occasional Advisor

ILO 3 - Drive information is not available on this system

I have a DL380 G7 with ILO 3 v1.28.  Whenever I check the Drives tab under System Information I get the message "Drive information is not available on this system".

Prior to upgrading to v1.28 the drives tab wasn't even there.  Now it's there, but still no information.  What's missing.

The server is running VMware vSphere 4.1 u1 (ESXi).  It was not installed with the HP modified version of VMware so do I need to add the HP support bundle to it for this information to show up in ILO?

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Re: ILO 3 - Drive information is not available on this system

How many DL380G7 are showing the issue?

iLO3 collects Hard Drive info from the drive backplanes only after server has completed POST. iLO3 does it by polling backplanes via i2c bus twice a minute. If only one unit is showing the issue, there could be a problem with a cable that connects the drive backplane to the system board. 

Only one is showing the issue. No information is showing, however I haven't rebooted the box since I upgraded Ilo. If it has to initially gather info from POST, that could be my issue.
Keith Martin_3
Occasional Advisor

Oscar,

I finally had a chance to reboot the server, and the drives now show up.  However, I made a change to ILO that caused it to reset and the drive information went away.

So I rebooted again and the drive information came back.  Now my question is, is the drive information in ILO only what it found from post, or will it show me if a drive is failing or failed while the server is running?

Also, is there a way to make ILO send SMTP messages?

Thanks

Keith Martin_3
Occasional Advisor

Sorry...one more thought.  This is an ESXi host.

Do I have to have the hp management agent bundle installed for this work or is that only necessary if I want to use SIM for monitoring.

ESXi 4.1

Thanks

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Can you tell me the firmware version you got on those HDD backplanes?  The version can be seen on the HDD page and it should be something like 1.1x