4334 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

ILO 4 CPU temp readings

_r00t_
Advisor

ILO 4 CPU temp readings

Hi,

From where is iLO 4 reading the CPU temp?

I have two DL380p servers 1) The latest BIOS and iLO 2.72 with CPUs Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30GHz; and 2) Older BIOS and iLO 2.02 with CPUs Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2665 0 @ 2.40GHz

In both cases the CPU temp readings are way below the readings of psensors, and I've observed that the difference in the readings depends heavily on the inlet temp. In 1) the inlet temp is 11-12C and in 2) the inlet temp is 23-25C . It turns out that the error difference in temp reading is larger in 1).

Anyone has correct temp readlings from iLO 4?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Jazz_ISS
HPE Pro

Re: ILO 4 CPU temp readings

Hello, 

Just because a sensor is reporting high doesn’t mean that the sensor is failed and that any hardware replacement is needed.
Ambient air temperature, airflow and baffling are often the problem and minor changes to the hardware configurations (cable routing,baffle install, heatsink torqueing, etc) or fan profile changes in BIOS will resolve high readings/fan speeds.

While booting the server, perform the following changes in the power configuration of the server (in the server´s BIOS setup):

a.From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration(RBSU) > Workload Profile>Virtualization - Max Performance
b.From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Power and Performance Options > Power Regulator >Static High Performance Mode
c.From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration(RBSU) > Power and Performance Options > Collaborative Power Control >Disabled.
d.From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration(RBSU) > Power and Performance Options > Minimum Processor Idle Power Core C-State >No C-
States
e.From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration(RBSU) > Power and Performance Options > Minimum Processor Idle Power Package C-State >No
Package State
f.From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration(RBSU) > Advanced Options > Fan and Thermal Options > Thermal Configuration >Increased Cooling.

If issue persist I would suggest you log a Support ticket with HPE and share the AHS report for further deep dive.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo