108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ILO 4 Scripted Media URL

Derek1900
Occasional Contributor

ILO 4 Scripted Media URL

How do i add an iso to virtual media?

ILO 4, ML350 Gen8

can the Scripted Media URL be local or is it an internet location?

35 REPLIES 35
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

You need a webserver hosting the iso image.  Apache is recommended

Oscar, thanks for your reply.

For other that encounter this, i found that i could use the Remote Console and add a local ISO or CD to boot from. It doesn't help for anyone that really does require Scripted Media URL.

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

To use iso image please launch remote console, click on Virtual drive Menu and Select CD/DVD and then select Virtual Image.

for detailed step by step instruction please refer to HP Guided Troubleshooting

[broken link removed on 19/04/17 -mod]

Launch the guided troubleshooting >> go to setup and installation option >> select HP Integrated Lights Out Virtual Media >> select HP Integrated Lights Out 3 (iLO 3) Virtual Media >> select Using iLO 3 Virtual CD/DVD-ROM..... steps provided remains the same for iLo4

Hope this helps,

Click on Star Kudos if you think information provided is helpful.

regards,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

Specific to your question

Scripted Media URL is the location of  the virtual media image file on an HTTP server. The image must be located on a web server on the same network as iLO.

example:

protocol://username:password@hostname:port/filename

Please refer page 46 of HP iLO 4 Scripting and Command Line Guide for more information.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03334058

or iLO 4 user guide

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03334051

Hope this helps,

How to say Thanks, Click on Star Kudos

Aftab

Moderator Note: [Updated with new links]

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

anthony11
Regular Advisor

Scripted Media URL is the location of  the virtual media image file on an HTTP server. The image must be located on a web server on the same network as iLO.

I read both documents and there's nothing to indicate that the server has to be on the same network -- and the facility would be fairly useless if that were the case.  It *is* claimed however that for some bizarre reason one has to be running on MS Windows (ie., time to set up a VM).

To use iso image please launch remote console, click on Virtual drive Menu and

Select CD/DVD and then select Virtual Image.

The feasibility of this drops considerably when the system and admin are on different sides of an ocean.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Correct, The URL for the .ISO doesn't have to be on the same subnet. The iLO and the system hosting the .ISO image just need to be able to communicate.

Windows is only a requirement if you want to use the features in the Integrated Remote Console application. You can SSH to iLO and connect the virtual media from the command line. This method is explained in the scritpting and command line guide listed above.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
anthony11
Regular Advisor

Unfortunately I can't get iLO to even attempt to retrieve the .ISO image.  "iLO experienced an error attempting to insert the media.  Checkt o ensure whether a valid URL was entered".  This is when I stuff a URL into the Connect CD/DVD-ROM -> Scripted Media URL box and click Insert Media.  httpd logs show that it isn't even trying.

anthony11
Regular Advisor

Okay, I got past the above, got the URL into a form that ILO would accept, but I find no evidence that ilo is even trying to mount the thing -- httpd logs show no access attempts.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Please provide more information

What URL method wasn't working, what did you finally get iLO to accept. examples would be nice.

Are you attaching via the IRC application, or over a command line session?

Sorry to play 20 questions, but I generally do several installations via this method weekly and only have a failure if I fubar the location as the URL tends to be long for our configuration

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!