New Discussion

Re: ILO 5 - connection to Shared Network LOM vers. flexible LOM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jiri3
Frequent Advisor

ILO 5 - connection to Shared Network LOM vers. flexible LOM

Hello guys,

our machine Proliant DL360 Gen10 has a ILO5 ver. 2.55 has a Network configured as a Shared LOM.
So we can't to access via the same local LAN to ILO (by ping or ssh, web) as well.

Is there any way to make this local connection work? What is the difference between LOM versus flexible LOM in this regard?

Thank

Jiri

5 REPLIES 5
support_s
System Recommended

Query: ILO 5 - connection to Shared Network LOM vers. flexible LOM

System recommended content:

1. HPE Integrated Lights-Out (iLO)

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What is the difference between LOM versus flexible LOM in this regard?

LOM = LAN on Motherboard
LOM means the LAN Ports are fixed integrated on the Mainboard, you can not remove or change.
With Flex LOM , these LAN Ports are "cut out" from the Mainboard and you can change them as a small Board, for example, 4x1GB or 2x 10GB.

Now to iLO, we have two possibilities:
1. Use the dedicated iLO NIC Port on the Mainboard with the Label "iLO".
2. Use a shared LOM Port.
I never use Option 2 and most Customers use a dedicated iLO Port.
If you use the shared Port, Network Traffic for your Server and iLO going to the same Port.
Then iLO Traffic is routed to the iLO Chip and other Traffic to the NIC Chip.
Also using shared Port, iLO has its own IP Address.
This is more for very small environments, where you have to count for every LAN Cable and Switch Port.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Jiri3
Frequent Advisor

Hi Cali,

thanks for the nice explanation. I think I understand. 

My questions:

We have been operating two Proliant DL360Gen10 servers since 2019. Neither server had a flexibleLOM adapter mounted at the factory. Both servers and their ILO were and are on the same public LAN. Everyone had their ILO5 with a "shared LOM" network. We chose the shared LOM type because of the payment for hosting. At the same time, we came to terms with the fact that each of these servers would connect the neighbor's ILO, but would not connect its own ILO.

In November 2021 we added another server, also Proliant DL360Gen10 with the same network configuration as the oldest, except for the type of network: the new one is equipted with a flexibleLOM adapter and has the original LAN Ports cut out.And we were surprised to connect the new Proliant at his ILO.

So the main point of the question was whether it is flexibleLOM that allows the local connection of the server with its own ILO? And is it possible to add a flexibleLOM adapter to the old server without disassembly of the original LAN Ports and switch to its activation in the ILO and server?

Jiri

Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

By the Way, do you know/try the new „Virtual NIC“ Feature, I described here:
https://d8tadude.com/2019/09/25/hpe-ilo-5-new-features/
You may need a iLO Firmware Update.
Cali
ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Jiri3
Frequent Advisor

Hi Cali,

thank you, that's it!

Jiri