1748134 Members
3659 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO Error message. HP ILO virtual media

Nicholas Farmer
Occasional Advisor

ILO Error message. HP ILO virtual media

Trying to push a Microsoft Windows 2003 Install over the Virtual Media connection in ILO I get the Error message in the ILO Event Log: тАЬExcessive network delay while communicating with virtual CD-ROMтАЭ
Then
"Virtual media disconnected by XadminX."

I can be connected to the server for hours and never have the Virtual Drive disconnect but when the software starts up load the image/install data, it automatically disconnects the virtual Media connection.

Connection between the devices have been tested with 1Gbps and 100Mbps. Ping time latency always shows Less than 1ms. Only when the network gets increased amount of traffic does the connection drop for the Virtual Media.

P.S. this trhead has been moved from ProLiant Servers - Netservers to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) - HP Forums moderator

12 REPLIES 12
yabba1961

Did you make any progress in this, we have the same problem. Or has anyone a solution for this
Nicholas Farmer
Occasional Advisor

Nothing has been solved with this. I have tried using an ISO image on a machine connected localy and a CD-ROM mounted from my PC over the WAN. Ive tried at least twenty different combinations and everything fails.

We think the problem might be our firewall causing some unseen latency or maybe some MPLS stuff. 90% sure its the network causing this though.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything out yourself.
Nicholas Farmer
Occasional Advisor

Any information about this issue yet?
littlsm

Guys, we have the same issue here.

Trying to push an ISO image down to our server over the iLO and we get the "Excessive network delay while communicating with virtual CD-ROM ".

I've tried changing the location of the ISO and also setting the ILO to 100 MD FD both sides but not joy.

This is happening on both DL 585 G2 and DL 380 G5's.

Any ideas?
Nicholas Farmer
Occasional Advisor

We have worked on this issue for months. It's now to the point where HP will not resolve anything so we are removing Ilo and going with a KVM over IP solution.

Let me know if you find out anything new.

Thanks
Nicholas Farmer
Brendon_F

I have just come accross the same problem today. I have been using iLos for some time now and have not experienced this problem before. the error is ILO Event Log: ├в Excessive network delay while communicating with virtual CD-ROM├в

I was accessing a DL380 G3 with firmware 1.92 (I upgraded to see if this would fix the problem)

I was trying to build a new esx server via virtual CD (esx 3.5 update 1 FYI)

I do not experience the problem if I install Windows 2003!!! Bizare

Anyway... the only way I could continue was to downgrade the iLO Firmware to 1.80! (Yes I tried all the versions down to this!)

Still had the CD disconnecting but it allowed me to reconnect and carry on! (previous firmware would NOT recover I had to reboot)

BTW In all cases I had a continuous ping test to the iLO to test so called "excessive network delay" LESS than 1ms at ALL times! The server used for the virtual CD was in same Datacentre so no delay.

Its possibly down to the ISO image not being decompressed fast enough to send to the target ilo??? not sure. So far it only affects me when installing VMWare is this similar experience?

I'm positive its not a network delay something firmware realted that HP could fix?

Hope this aids someone in finding a solution

Cheers
Brendon
Nicholas Farmer
Occasional Advisor

15 months and still nothing.
Thank you for posting the information about the ILO firmware testing. Our solution was moving to Vmware and KVM over IP. While ILO is great for a virtual power button, the Virtual media and Video is lacking.
Donald Petry

We are having this problem too.

On our internal network, iLO works great and doesn't experience this issue. However, we put a firewall between our DMZ iLO interfaces and the administrator's console. The iLO traffic which traverses the firewall experiences many TCP issues and is effectively broken.

We are considering the removal of the firewall or using a different tool to move files.
http://linkedin.com/in/donaldpetryiii
Svein Hebens

We had the same problem.

No help from HP.

But after some test and failing, i ended up with the cause of this error being the PC's NIC.
Added new nic to my computer and the virtual image working again.

The old nic was of type : Intel LM-3 Gigabit Network card.
Tried to upgrade drives etc before installing new nic. No difference.