1751788 Members
4893 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO install Windows 2003 blank screen

Andrew Lupton
Advisor

ILO install Windows 2003 blank screen

Using ILO ver. 1.9.1 on a DL380G3. Booting Win2003 as virtual media.

As soon as I boot from the Win iso, I see "Setup is inspecting your computer's configuration" and the screen goes blank with a blinking cursor in the center. I suspect that the win setup when going into its initial text portion of the install is unable to display in the ILO remote console but why?

Browser is using Java 1.6.0_03-b05 but I've tested several different versions from different machines and all do exactly the same.

Can Windows not be installed from ILO virtual media? If so, what might the video mode issue be???
7 REPLIES 7
dms_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Windows can be installed from ILO virtual media for sure.Do you have the advanced ilo licence?

Regards
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Andrew,
R u facing a black background and green text(IP CHATTER) issue ?

If so, issue is unknown at this time. Log a call with HP support.

Regards.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Andrew Lupton
Advisor

Yes, I have the Advance license installed.

No, I don't see a blue screen/green text.
Immediately following the 'Press any key to boot from CD', I see 'Setup is inspecting your computer...' and then blank. A black screen with a blinking cursor in the center on the first row. Nothing else.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

try this J2SE v 1.4.2_16 JRE
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

try mounting a windows CD in server itself and try

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Andrew Lupton
Advisor

I meant to say, no I don't see the black screen with green text issue. The ILO works fine up until the Win CD begins to load. Again, I suspect that the Windows install, when going into a different text mode (if I recall, it's the blue screen with the smaller white text as the inspection process begins) is simply not being handled by the ILO. I did upgrade from ILO 1.4.x to 1.9.1 to try and correct the problem and did notice that the response time for the initial boot process text was much slower than the 1.4.x version was. (Slow writing the text to the screen). I am able to use the mouse and press the proper keys however, up until "Setup is inspecting..." then nothing. Even the CTRL-ALT-DEL button won't work. I have to virtually power cycle the box to start over each time.
Andrew Lupton
Advisor

Already tried several different versions of the JRE. No difference. Yes, inserting the physical CD does work but I'm nowhere near the system so doing that is not an option. The point of the virtual mount and the ILO itself is to be able to do this work remotely right? :)