1753930 Members
9504 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ILO won't send test alert emails to local SMTP server

Biggen
Occasional Contributor

ILO won't send test alert emails to local SMTP server

So I'm having a strange issue. In the alert email section in the Management section, if I put in my local LAN SMTP server, iLO refuses to actually send the test alert email when I hit the send test button. I mean if I look in the iLO log it doesn't even show the test alert was sent. Of course I have the email address, domain, and port set as well. I'm putting in the IP address as well and not a domain name. Hell, the ip I'm putting in is even on the same subnet that iLO is on so there shouldn't be any routing issue.

What's crazy is if I just put in any other name in their server field like "makeup.smtpserver.com", and hit test iLO will actually fire off the test email as evidenced by the iLO log.

Any ideas on why it's refusing to send alerts to a local subnet address?
1 REPLY 1
Biggen
Occasional Contributor

Re: ILO won't send test alert emails to local SMTP server

So I figured this out and I wanted to post the solution if anyone else had this issue.

I had iLO sharing it's interface with NIC 1 instead of using the dedicated iLO port.  The mail server that I had installed in a VM on NIC 1 was also in the same subnet as iLO itself (both were in 192.168.22.0/24)  This was causing the issue.  The solution was to either move iLO or the VM to two different subnets OR to just move iLO back to its dedicated port and abandon the port sharing.   Moving iLO back to its own port allows you to be able to keep the same subnet setup without any changes.  That is exactly what I did (iLO is back on its own interface) and all is working well.