cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ILO2 Problem

Ali VARGONEN
Advisor

ILO2 Problem

Sytem information -> Power Section gives the following error.

Error reading power values from microcontroller. No valid reading can be gathered.

License Type: iLO 2 Advanced
iLO 2 Firmware Version: 1.70 12/02/2008

Waiting for your help.
Digital World
10 REPLIES
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Re: ILO2 Problem

Was it after the ILO2 upgrade to 1.70 this appeared? There is a new function with the ILO2 1.70 that's called Power capping and a new licens model.

Also for full support with power capping you need to upgrade your bios on the server.

I'm just guessing here but maybe the have altered the power information gathering with 1.70 that need the new bios..
Ali VARGONEN
Advisor

Is was shown before bu disappered. I am using the latests versions.
Digital World
Ian Y
Occasional Advisor

I'm also seeing this problem on a Dl380 G5 with the latest ROM (2008.11.01). All was well with an old iLO 2.?? with the advanced licence installed, after upgrading to iLO 1.70 I now see the same error described above.

I've now upgraded all firmware in the box to the latest and am still seeing the error following multiple server and iLO reboots.

Logging power usage is something we are required to do, so this is BAD.

A prompt solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

all,

please include as many details you can, like when started to happen, what was change prior to the error (if any), screen shoots, version being used and exact error messages so I can go to the lab and re-create the issue

thanks
Ian Y
Occasional Advisor

The problem started immediately following upgrade from iLO 1.2 to iLO 1.70

RIBCL power queries return:

Administration -> Licencing section in iLO reports:
"iLO 2 Advanced features have been activated."
Ian Y
Occasional Advisor

After leaving the server alone for about an hour the error has gone away and I'm now seeing power readings and am able to get sensible readings via RIBCL as well?!

I've not seen this kind of behaviour before, but I'm just happy it's working!
zm27980
Occasional Visitor

???
Christopher D
Occasional Visitor

I just recently upgraded my DL380 G5 system firmware to P56 (11/01/2008) and Power Meter worked great all the time. Only after upgrading to the latest iLO 2 firmware did I also run into the above error message.

My server has been operating for more than 24 hours with the new iLO2 1.70 (12/02/2008) firmware and I still get this error message.

Can we get some help out here? My iLO 2 advanced features are activated, but I can't use them to their full potential without power readings!

Thanks,
--Chris
Ian Y
Occasional Advisor

Did you try powering the server off and then unplugging the power cables for a good 5 minutes?

In a related thread once I got this fixed I was then getting invalid power readings (80 watts instead of around 300), however HP sent me a new version of iLO (1.75) which seems to have fixed the problem.
Christopher D
Occasional Visitor

I downgraded iLO 2 firmware to version 1.61 (B) as provided on the Drivers/Download page - now I'm getting this message:

Present power reading: 0 Watts at 09:53:36, 04/21/2009

Powering down and unplugging a server in a remote datacenter is highly inconvenient since it must be coordinated with remote hands assistance that's likely to cost me more than $100 per hour for assistance during an off-peak time so that it's convenient for my customers - not to mention annoying my wife. This is precisely why iLO was invented and why I spent the money for it. HP needs to provide a way to remotely reset whatever is in my power supply which has stopped responding to power management calls.

--Chris