ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752664 Members
5662 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ILO2 don't send snmp traps

Simon_Begin

ILO2 don't send snmp traps

On a DL380G5 Ilo2 advanced, I enable SNMP traps (Direct to our SNMP manager) and I the test trap from ilo2 console is working OK.

Whatever else I do I dont get any trap: -reset the server, -Pull off a power supply, -Remove a SAS HD from a RAID, etc.

Is there anything I do wrong?

My goal is to use ILO's SNMP to monitor the HP hardware, primarily for VMWare ESX, but also for other OS. So If I can dissociate the hardware from the OS running under it will be simpler.
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

does that ilo 2 have the latest firmware? 1.43?

also this driver is important
iLO 2 Management Interface Driver but I really don't know how to run that on VMWare

iLO 2 Management Interface Driver

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Simon,

pls note that not all events will result in a SNMP trap to be send by the iLO. For some events, you need the Operating System agents to be installed and running/communicating to the iLO before their events will be forwarded to the SNMP management pc/server that you configured in the iLO.

I don't have a list of what is reported by default by the iLO alone (without any OS agents) but it is probably out on the web somewhere.

HTH

Kris

Simon_Begin

Karlo:
Yes I have the latest firmware 1.43

Where can I find the iLO 2 Management Interface Driver ?

Kris:
A test server has been installed from the SmartStart CD that install all management agents, but still no SNMP traps.

Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

iLO 2 Management Interface Driver:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=1135772〈=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1146658
I Suggest you to try the Redhat one for the ESX and check it out.
You should get Traps (eset the server, -Pull off a power supply, -Remove a SAS HD from a RAID, etc.) if you have the iLO drivers.
Simon_Begin

Thanks all, I've contacted a HP consultant and he redirected me to the HP Insight Management agent, which is installed if you install with the SmartStart CD and accessible via https://(server):2381

Everything I need is there: Hardware monitoring and alerting through SNMP traps, including OS disk space and RAID controller and disks.

For Windows this agent is installed automatically if you install with the Smartstart CD. For ESX, you have to DL and install the "HP Management Agents for VMware ESX Server 3.x " (hpmgmt-7.9.1-vmware3x.tgz) and you have the same fonctionnality.

This agent is currently being certified for ESX 3.5. I've easily installed it on a ESX 3.02 test server with success