108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IMD Software Problem with Idle Screen

SOLVED
Go to solution
Charles Cosby_3
Advisor

IMD Software Problem with Idle Screen

I use my Idle screen on the IMD's to show which server as well as CPU and Memory Utilization in my server room so I can monitor the different systems quickly. for some reason one of the machines (a ProLiant 6000) has a blank Idle screen. I have pasted both idle screens in the attachment to show what I mean. Can anyone give me an idea as to why this is like this? I copied these images off the same machine so its not a software issue.

Thanks
Charles
11 REPLIES 11
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: IMD Software Problem with Idle Screen

Hi,

Please see the below Doc.
----------------------------------------------------
NO:
EM000225_SW01
REVISION: 0
PLATFORM:
ProLiant 1200, ProLiant 1600, ProLiant 2500, ProLiant 3000, ProLiant 5500, ProLiant 6000, ProLiant 6500, ProLiant 7000, ProLiant 8000, ProLiant 8500

MARKET GEO:
Worldwide
DATE:
June 2000
LAST UPDATED: 12 December 2002

SUBJECT:
Compaq IMD Idle Screen May Not Update Under Windows 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION
When changes are made to the Compaq Integrated Management Display (IMD) using the Compaq Enhanced IMD Service and the Compaq IMD Utility on any Compaq server, as described in the ''Products Affected'' section, the idle screen on the IMD may not get updated. This issue is caused by a change in behavior of the Microsoft Windows 2000 RegNotifyChangeKeyValue API (Application Programming Interface).
PRODUCTS AFFECTED
This issue affects any Compaq server when all of the following are true:
The server is running Microsoft Windows 2000.

The server has an IMD.

The server is running Compaq Support Paq, Version 5.01 (or earlier), for Windows 2000.

RESOLUTION/SOLUTION
To resolve this issue, upgrade to Compaq Support Paq, Version 5.02A (or later), which is available from the following website: www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/index.html

NOTE: The Compaq Support Paq, Version 5.02A (or later), is also available on Compaq SmartStart and Support Software CD Release 4.70.

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Chales

This one is also
But this is from custoemr advisory.

CUSTOMER ADVISORY

EM000225_CW01 REVISION: 0

Compaq IMD Idle Screen Does Not Update Under Windows 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RELEASE DATE:
May 2000
LAST UPDATED: 11 February 2002

DESCRIPTION
When using the Compaq Enhanced Integrated Management Display (IMD) Service and the Compaq Integrated Management Display Utility under Microsoft Windows 2000 to make changes to the IMD, the idle screen on the IMD may not always get updated.
SCOPE
Any Compaq server that has an IMD running Microsoft Windows 2000 and Compaq Support Paq Version 5.01 (or earlier) for Windows 2000.
RESOLUTION
This issue has been fixed in the Compaq Support Paq Version 5.02A (or later), which is available on SmartStart Release 4.70 or at the following URL:

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/index.html
COMPAQ PLATFORMS AFFECTED: ProLiant 1200, ProLiant 1600, ProLiant 2500, ProLiant 3000, ProLiant 5500, ProLiant 6000, ProLiant 6500, ProLiant 7000, ProLiant 8000, ProLiant 8500
OPERATING SYSTEMS AFFECTED: Microsoft Windows 2000
SUBSYSTEMS AFFECTED: Non-Hardware Specific
THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AFFECTED: Does Not Apply

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Charles Cosby_3
Advisor

Thanks for the info. I am running Smart Start 5.5 so according to that info, it should not be the problem. I cannot install the whole support pack as it causes the computer to lock up every few hours. I have tried it on 4 different computers (Proliant 5500, 6000 and 2 different 300's). So I am forced to install packages one at a time with the manual SmartStart Install. The other systems seem fine except for this 6000. I downloaded and installed cp003208 and will now try cp003212. I will let youk now how i make out
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Chrles,

Q)I cannot install the whole support pack as it causes the computer to lock up every few hours

A) any specifc erro infomration and is the time of hang is of same interval or what?

REgards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Charles Cosby_3
Advisor

Well installing cp003212 did the trick, thanks for your quick help
Charles Cosby_3
Advisor

The systems typically lock up 2 or 3 hours after a reboot. They will do this 2 or 3 times then ASR takes them automatically into the SCU. I asked a few times on this forum about the problem but it was never solved. The only way I can keep the systems up is to do a manual install, and keep the HP or compaq software off the machine expect for the individual packages. I just manually download and install what I need. I think it has something to do with SNMP but never had time to dig further. I can do an assisted install with 3.3 or 4.9 but anything after that, no dice. The only message I get is that an unexpected shutdown took place and I get an ASR reset detected on the IMD.

Next week I will install W2K3 Standard on the 5500 and see how it goes. I will install all the software and watch it and let youknow how I make out.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Well pleasure is mine as i have helped you

Take care.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Charles,

As far as ASR is concerned. When you are free and possible to test try one option Diable ASR the install and then check Iml logs or Run windows online Daignostics on server.Might help you out.

Note: Disabling ASR not agood thing to do but for testing we can do the same.

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Charles Cosby_3
Advisor

Prashant,

I have done a million diagnostics about this problem over the last 2 years. I cam eto the conclusion there is a problem with something in Smart STart between 4.0 and 5.5 and windows 2000 server (as well as advanced server) I have disabled ASR in both Windows and in the SCU only to have the system lock tighter than a drum.

Unfortunately now all my machines are up and running with manual installs and no compaq software other than individual packages (Power supply, IMD and RAID controller). Other than that, nothing is installed.

Next week I plan to wipe a PL5500 and install windows 2003 standard server and although I cannot do it assisted, will do a manual and include all software provided by HP and let you know how I make out.

Again, thanks for your help
Charles