1752581 Members
5001 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ilo on DL380 G4 not showing up on POST boot

Garrett I.
Occasional Advisor

Ilo on DL380 G4 not showing up on POST boot

Whenever I boot up I do not see the familiar F8 to configure Ilo. Actually I do not see anything at all about ilo when booting. It goes straight from the 6i raid to the HP nic and totally skips the ilo. I have other G4s and they always appear inbetween those 2.
I updated the firmware thinking it would fix something but still no go. The firmware said successful when updating the firmware and also in Windows 2K3 I see the Ilo HP Management Interface driver and I have also updated that to the latest.
I cannot even open a browser to the ilo port. I even checked the SW1 on the motherboard and also the leds and everythings fine there. Any help would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

try to clear NVRAM from switch 6 on the mainboard. then try to set switch 1 to on, so the ilo is reset.

Regards,
Pac
dms_1
Trusted Contributor

If the steps suggested by Pac does not help, you can turn of the server and unplug the power cable.This is the way to make a complete ilo reset.After that entering ilo bios should be possible again
Garrett I.
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the replys Pac and dms. DMS I have tried unplugging the server and leaving it off for a few minutes and that did'nt help.
I'll give Pac's try tomorrow morning when I can bring the server down and see if that does it.
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Hello, Garret,

You tell that nothing is shown after the 6i controller regarding ilo. Normally ilo should be shown after CPU and ram initialization and before the 6i controller.

Interesting to see is if there is a link for ilo in System Management Homepage (normally there is a link in the left blue area). And in the right part there should be a field "management processor" - do you have something there? Is there some indication of network activity when you plug in the lan cable in the ilo - normally there have to be green/red flashes on the rj45 ilo-port. As last advice I can tell you to try the online flash utility for updating the ilo firmware

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121486&prodNameId=3288144&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-9f76e0c15d0a4d28825b80df03

Kind regards,
Garrett I.
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mi6t0,
Sorry..your right the about ilo coming up before the 6i controller. Just got mixed up (either way still not there).
When I log into the System Management Homepage I see the "Management Processor" in the left blue area and under that it states "none".
As for activity on the ilo port I do see activity, green solid and green activity as well as a green link on the switch it is connected to.
I also already upgraded the firmware in hopes of it fixing the problem. I used the latest Firmware CD of 7.91 and drivers CD 7.91 as well and it even said it detected the ilo and would update the firmware which also stated "successful".
Out of 40+ machines I had to configure ilo on only 2 of them are having problems.
Garrett I.
Occasional Advisor

I did mean to add that I checked DHCP and there is no lease for the ilo port. But still the leds on the ilo port do not show any problem. I have also swapped out another cat5 and also plugged into another port on the switch as far as troubleshooting goes.
Thanks everyone for the replies ive gotten so far.
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Hi again :)

This is really an interesting issue.
I downloaded the ILO2 Guide and I think this is our last chance:

In rare instances, it might be necessary to reset iLO 2; for example, if iLO 2 is not responding to the browser. To reset iLO 2, you must power down the server and disconnect the power supplies completely.

iLO 2 may reset itself in certain instances. For example, an internal iLO 2 watchdog timer resets if the firmware detects an iLO 2 problem. If a firmware upgrade is completed or a network setting is changed, iLO 2 also resets.

The HP Management Agents 5.40 and later have the ability to reset iLO 2. To reset iLO 2, do one of the following:

Select the Reset iLO 2 option on the HP Management Agent web page under the iLO 2 section.
Click Apply on the Network Settings page to manually force the iLO 2 management processor to reset. You do not need to change any parameters before clicking Apply.
Click Reset on the Diagnostic page of the iLO 2 browser interface.

I have never tried this before and have no possibility to test it... I hope this is somewhere in the SMH. Tomorrow I will check for sure if this option is really available, but if the Userguide says so, it should be correct.

If it doesn't help I advice you to call HP and request a system board warranty exchange.

Kind regards,

Mi6t0

Garrett I.
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again..ive also been reading up on the ilo guides and the forums is my last resort. I'll try and get in before the users do tomorrow and give it a try and post my finding.
I really appreciate all of your help.
Garrett I.
Occasional Advisor

I cleared the NVRAM and that did not do it. The MB leds are also still green showing no sign of any problems with the ilo. After reboot on clearing the NVRAM i also still do not see the ilo come up. I hav'nt found any new things to try so I guess it will have to be a MB issue and need replaced. Thanks for all the ideas and help. I really appreciate it.