ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748092 Members
5848 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Importing hosts to Smart Update Manager (SUM)

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Liverpool
Occasional Advisor

Importing hosts to Smart Update Manager (SUM)

With Proliant Support Pack 7.90, I'm looking to do an update to the Version Control Agent to a large number of hosts. The SUM allows you to enter hosts by IP, name, or IP range. However, my batch of devices doesn't fit into one of those boxes.

Is there a way to import a list of host names into SUM? Perhaps by directly working with the SUM database (I can't seem to find it).
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Importing hosts to Smart Update Manager (SUM)

hi David

maybe this can help you
page 24

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00472061/c00472061.pdf

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
David Liverpool
Occasional Advisor

Karlo, thanks for the response. Reviewing the PSP manual though, all I see are instructions on how to Add a host by IP, Name, or IP Range.

My list of servers have pretty scattered IP addresses, which precludes using that method. The other two leave only the opportunity to add one at a time. If I'm overlooking something, please let me know.

I'd like to find a way to batch add a list of DNS or NetBIOS names.
pedro-chicago
Advisor
Solution

i ran into this same issue and was able to figure out the following:

- enter at least one target and one group in the SUM interface and then exit.
- on the server where you are running SUM, open the registry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\opt\com\hp\hpsum.
- below this key there should be another key which i assume is some type of guid.
- below that key are two more keys, TGGroup and TGTarget.
- under TGTarget are keys for each server you have entered via the SUM interface. each has information about the server.
- under TGGroup are keys for each group you have entered via the SUM interface. each has information about the group.

using the existing registry keys as a reference (export to .reg file), i was able to write a batch file which parsed though a tab delimited list file which contained the names and ip addresses of the servers to be updated by SUM (generated through SIM). the output was a text file formatted exactly like the exported .reg file. i just had to save it as unicode then import it into the registry.

when i next ran SUM, all of the servers were now there.

if you look at the TGGroup keys (assuming you have created at least one group), the targets entry is just a concatenated list of the target ip addresses or host names. i tried using the groups entry under one of the TGTarget keys, but it didn't seem to work. maybe hp will put it in the next version?

below is the batch file i used to generate the .reg import file. the servers.lst file is formatted as servernameipaddress (each server on a new line). be sure the enter the your specific guid where applicable.

::begin batch file
set list=servers.lst
set output=hpsum_reg_input.reg

@echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00>> %output%
@echo.>> %output%
@echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\opt\com\hp\hpsum\]>> %output%
@echo.>> %output%
@echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\opt\com\hp\hpsum\\TGTarget]>> %output%
@echo.>> %output%

for /f "tokens=1,2 delims= " %%i in (%list%) do call :COMMANDS %%i %%j

:COMMANDS

@echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\opt\com\hp\hpsum\\TGTarget\%2]>> %output%
@echo "address"="%2">> %output%
@echo "description"="%1">> %output%
@echo "dateModified"="">> %output%
@echo "dateSelected"="">> %output%
@echo "groups"="">> %output%
@echo.>> %output%

goto :EOF
:end
::end batch file

good luck,

pete
David Liverpool
Occasional Advisor

Peter, that is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. I suppose I was expecting the data to be inside something like an XML file rather than the Registry. Very thorough response! Thanks again.
David Liverpool
Occasional Advisor

SUM database information is stored in registry at following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\opt\com\hp\hpsum