ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752785 Members
6230 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Impossible rebuild new disk RAID1 - HP DL320 G5 controller onboard (embedded)

dcollica
Occasional Advisor

Impossible rebuild new disk RAID1 - HP DL320 G5 controller onboard (embedded)

Hello everyone ...

I find myself struggling with a troublesome situation.

On my server DL320 G5 with Embedded SATA Controller, it has failed a disk2 configured in RAID1.

As usual, I turned off the server, insert the new disk (which is bigger than a few mb) and restart the server.

The disk does not automatically rebuilt, and on windows I find how a new unity (to format).

And  as if the controller had not automatically assigned to the array exists.
The settings of the integrated controller, i can see the disk but i can't add the existing array.

I read something about the Proliant Service Pack 2013.02 that improve the software HP Sorage Manager to manage the RAID.

I remember the first restart was just with a good disk inside. Is the possible cause?
Can anyone tell me how to force the rebuild to the new disk?

Thanks a lot.

10 REPLIES 10
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Impossible rebuild new disk RAID1 - HP DL320 G5 controller onboard (embedded)

The HP Storage tools will not work with the embedded SATA chipset controller in a G5 server. When going through POST there should be an option to access the array utilites for that controller.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
dcollica
Occasional Advisor

Yes exactly, the problem is here... with the embedded array utility. Here i see the new disk as a separated JBOD logical device... , i can't change the RAID configuration and I can't choose the new disk and rebuild him 'couse this server had just 2 slot.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If you don't have the new disk installed, does the utility give you an option to repair a failed RAID?

dcollica
Occasional Advisor

I should try without a new Disk?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

dcollica wrote:

Yes exactly, the problem is here... with the embedded array utility. Here i see the new disk as a separated JBOD logical device... , i can't change the RAID configuration and I can't choose the new disk and rebuild him 'couse this server had just 2 slot.

What information does the embedded utility show on the current RAID set?

As when working with an disk or array, make sure you have a good data backup

dcollica
Occasional Advisor

This sarver has only 2 disk slot.

1 slot: curennt good disk --> aktually is online.

2 slot: new disl --> windows see as a new Hard Disk

In HP Raid embedded Utility i see:

Array#00 - 1 slot: current good disk

2 slot: Missed disk (in gray, 'couse in this moment is the new disk inside")

With the Embedded HP utility i can use the new one just for create a new array. If i try to use as spare for the array#00, i can't becouse the raid have already 2 disk.

Maybe should i put inside again the old disk end delete him as spare from Array. ???

Or, can i make a clone with Acronis (for example) from the good one to tha new one?  Maybe work...?

lfeldman1
Occasional Advisor

Your first priority should be to make a clone of the good disk before continuing troubleshooting.

My suggestion would be to setup the array from scratch after replacing the failed drive and restoring the image back to the array.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If the embedded utility doesn't see any errors with the array, you probably not going to have a choice but to start from scratch and re-create teh array and reload the OS and data

dcollica
Occasional Advisor

I checked out the old hard "failure" and it actually works.

If I enter the old disk to the server (after almost 4 days) What happens with the rebuild?
Priority has always the first HD?

Or I can clone the good with Acronis True Image HD on the second disk (ex failure) and back in the slot?
It might work?

In any case I have the full backup of wbadmin on a USB disk.

Thanks a lot for the Help.