2629 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Inaccessible boot device / Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2013

MRoth1
Occasional Visitor

Inaccessible boot device / Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2013

Hey Guys!

We have a problem and I already invested some hours to resolve it but unfortunately I can't fix it without help.

We have an MDT 2013 with Windows 8, Windows 10, Server 2012 and Server 2016. Every task sequence (we also have Win 10 1703 / 1803 / 1809) works fine with virtual machines. But when it comes to Windows Server 2012 and 2016 with physical servers from HPE we run into an error after deploying it. If we install the host system with a CD it works flawlessly.

We are using HPE Servers such as ML350 Gen 10 and want to deploy the host system (hyper v) also with the MDT but this doesn't seem to work. When we install the host system with a windows cd it works without any problems and later we can just run the MDT task sequence with Server 2016 for the virtual machines without problems. So it is just the physical server which doesn't work.

I am currently testing the deployment with a ML380 Gen 10. The server has a raid controller where a RAID 1 with 2 x 240 gb ssd is configured for the windows system (we didn't create the raid partitions for the data yet). I already tried to change the storage controller to Smart Array Raid SW support in bios and back to SATA AHCI without any effect. The RAID 1 is also configured as boot partition in the BIOS.

I thought that maybe something is wrong with the drivers and I just downloaded and imported them to the MDT (for every single server model we sell). I added the "inject driver" to the task sequence in Preinstall --> Refresh only with selection profile "Windows Server 2016" (where I imported all drivers for the servers) but this didn't work either....

The deployment or the install of the operating system itself runs without problems.. just right after it finished installing and it wants to restart it shows the loading bar of windows and after some seconds it shows a BSOD with "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE".

I already asked in the MDT forum from Microsoft but it seems like there is no one who can really help. What I checked so far:

-BIOS settings

-Boot partition format (MBR, GPT)

-Setting the RAID1 SSD as boot partition 

-Adding the drivers by model name into the deployment sequence (I downloaded the drivers directly from HPE (for example the ProLiant ML350 Gen10 storage drivers) (Scenario 3 :  https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management)

Has anyone of you an idea how I can fix this? If you need any further informations just tell me and I will add them to the topic.

Thanks in advance. 

Matthias Roth

3 REPLIES 3
MRoth1
Occasional Visitor

Re: Inaccessible boot device / Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2013

Just an additional information: the deployment of generation 9 servers works (same task sequence)

KK
HPE Pro

Hi MRoth,

It is not clear about the smart storage controller used in the server.

As the traditional method of OS installation using OS media works fine, it confirms that there are no issues with the server hardware.

Considering the smart array controller is either one from the list below:

Essential RAID Controller
HPE Smart Array E208i-a SR Gen10 Controller
HPE Smart Array E208i-p SR Gen10 Controller
HPE Smart Array E208e-p SR Gen10 Controller
Performance RAID Controller
HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Controller
HPE Smart Array P408i-p SR Gen10 Controller
HPE Smart Array P408e-p SR Gen10 Controller
HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10 Controller
HPE Smart Array P824i-p MR Gen10 Controller

Please try to extract and inject the driver available at https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1010026792&swItemId=MTX_5e75fa313d5342d498bff6df6e&swEnvOid=4184 in the deployment application.

Regards,

KK

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
Markus_S
Occasional Collector

I experienced exactly the same behavior trying to install HPE ML110 Gen10 server using SCCM.
I've injected cp043158 and cp043250 to both WinPE and Driver package for the model which solved my issue.