cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Disk capacity on a RAID 1+0

Leighton Brunning_1
Occasional Contributor

Increasing Disk capacity on a RAID 1+0

Can I simply add 2 Disks to the array, Each as a new logical drive on the mirror, and have this increase my disk capacity by the size of those disks?

I have a DL 580 G2. Used as a Distribution Server,Data,Print,Apps. It's configured on an Array controller 5i, and is set to RAID 1+0. I have 4 disks, each 36.4GB. so full capacity of the mirror is around 72.8GB. Unfortunately I'm down to 1GB of space left, and need to URGENTLY address the issue. I don't think that backing up the array and creating a new one is a viable solution. I need to do the work ASAP, and it must not take too long.

What options are possible?
3 REPLIES
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: Increasing Disk capacity on a RAID 1+0

You could expand the array...

Here is what you need to do:

Perform a fail and replace operation on each disk in your server. While the server is live, pull "one" drive from the array and insert a new 72GB or 146GB drive. Let the array completely rebuild on the new 72GB or 146GB drive. When that completes, replace another drive and let it completely rebuild... continue untill all the 36GB drives have been replaced. Of course, make sure all the disks are the same 72GB or 146GB...

Do not pull more than one drive at a time and always make sure the rebuild completes before starting another.

Now, with the ACU from either with your Smart Start CD, expand the RAID1+0 to use the "Unallocated Space".

If you use win2K, then use the Diskpart.exe to expand your partitions as explained in this document:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/drives-enclosures/Procedures%20of%20expanding%20active%20volume%20with%20W2000.pdf

Tips:

Set your Rebuild Priority and Expand Priority to High in the controller settings!
In both cases this process can take a while, so plan this over a weekend. Does your 5i have the BBWCE? It can help reduce the time involved too.

Make sure you have the very latest bios installed on the server and the 5i!

Have a real good backup completed prior to doing this, just in case.

Read the ACU USers Guide Completely:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/user_reference_guides/239449-004_rev4_us.pdf
Begin on Page 24!

Let me know if you need any other help! -john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Leighton Brunning_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for you information.
I've since learnt the Volume I need to expand is actually RAID 5, and also that:
My RAID Array Controller is 5300.
I will be upgrading the ACU with this file I have downloaded: CP004177.exe (HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility (CLI) for Windows
version 7.15.19.0 )

Does this change my options?
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Generally, no.

The process is the same; replace one drive at a time (rebuild) and then do the expansion of the un-allocated space.

The real gotcha is in Windows Volume Expansion... read about Diskpart.exe from MS TechNet and get familiar with it.

Planning = Success

G'luck with this! -john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt