4542 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Increasing disk capacity in a ML530R2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jaap Verhoef

Increasing disk capacity in a ML530R2

It may sound as an stupid question, but believe me, it went wrong here before. I want to increase the storage capacity of a ML530 by 145 GB (1 scsi disk). Speed is not relevant, since this drive will be used for long-term storage of miscelanious data. The first 3 disks (3x72gb)are configured in a raid 5 array. I found out that you can destroy your RAID config when you attach an additional (different sized) scsi disk on the same scsi channel. What is the best way to attach this disk without getting into trouble? Oh, the far left 3 bays are occupied for the raid system
1 REPLY 1
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Increasing disk capacity in a ML530R2

It is not clear where the idea of "destroy your RAID config when you attach an additional (different sized) scsi disk on the same scsi channel" came from. BUT you CAN do such a thing, but the drive is trucated to the size of the other drives in the array. THerefore a single 146 (Ithink that is what you WERE planning) would be trucated to 73 to match the others and 73GB of free space would be available to the OS to format AFTER you expand the array into the new drive.
In your case you would have to add 2 more 73GB drives into the array to achieve your goal.
Hot Swap Hard Drives