108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Increasing drives size on DL360 G4 server from 36 to 146 gig drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Al_56
Regular Advisor

Increasing drives size on DL360 G4 server from 36 to 146 gig drives

We currently have 2 x 36 Gig 15k drives in a RAID 1 confgiuration on the server.

We need to increase the drives size to 146 Gig, and l was wondering if the following would work.

Pull 1 of the 36 gig drives and replace with new 146 Gig drive. Allow the crives to sync.

Then pull the original 36 gig drive and replace with 146 Gig drive. Allow to sync.

Is the 6i RAID carid smart enough to now reccognize the full 146 Gig size as both drives are now the same? If l reboot will it recognize the new size then?

We are running Linux so we would then expand the volume to use the extra 110 Gig (or whatever the net increase is) size.

Is what l have just described possible?

Thanks in advance,

Alan
8 REPLIES 8
Peter Karle
Frequent Advisor
Solution

//Is the 6i RAID card smart enough to now reccognize the full 146 Gig size as both drives are now the same? If l reboot will it recognize the new size then?//
- Yes! But the Array (logical volume) remains with 36GB of size. That's why you first have to expand it (in ACU or ORCA). Only after this you would be able to increase your OS partition (linux volume).
Otherwise you would have to create a 2nd array which would be presented to the OS as a 2nd volume.
Regards, Peter
Al_56
Regular Advisor

So just to confirm, after l have replaced both 36 Gig drives with the 146 Gig Drives, l can use the ACU to resize the RAID 1 volume to see the full 146 Gigs, and then resize the linux volume to use the full drives size?

Do l need to reboot at any time during this entire process?

Thanks for your advice,

Alan
Peter Karle
Frequent Advisor

Hi Alan,
array expansion and/or resizing in ACU doesn't require reboot. About the resizing of linux volume, I don't know.
Thanks for the points!
Regards, Peter
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

You'll probably have to reboot after you expand the array volume for the OS to see the new size.
Al_56
Regular Advisor

Does this same process apply to the DL360 G3 with the 5i RAID card as well? as l need to upgrade one of those as well.

Thanks in advance.

Alan.
Peter Karle
Frequent Advisor

Yes! But I'd suggest to update the SA5i to the latest firmware and driver.
P.S.: thx for the points!
Al_56
Regular Advisor

Hi,

So we've upgraded both disks to 146 gig, and are trying to expand the array by resizing in ACU, but we cannot find out where to do it.

It is a Linux box. Is there a GUI to use for the process?

If not, what are the commands to use on the CLI for the expansion process?

Thanks in advance,

Al
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Alan,

Here is the ACU user guide:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00709035/c00709035.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

On page 52 there is how to expand the array and then how to extend the logical drive in CLI mode.

You can make it use GUI by starting ACU offline or from System Management homepage

Regards